Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heatmaker HW100 LP (very old; I'm a homeowner)

Icemom207
Icemom207 Member Posts: 1
Hi guys (and maybe girls),

I am the owner of a Heatmaker HW series 100HW LP boiler.

The boiler is shutting off almost daily. Heat goes out and no hot water (after hot water in tank used up). We reset it by pressing the black button on the control panel. I've not noted the code lights or how it cycles at start but now that I found the pdf manual I will pay closer attention. It makes plenty of noise.

We've replaced the the tank above the heater b/c of bladder issues (?) (sorry if that doesn't make sense). We also replaced the ignitor 3-4 times in the past few years. Once with a generic part and most recently with a Supco IG401 part. I beleive we also replace the gasket.

Venting is through the wall (horizontal?) and is free to vent with no obstructions. We also have a radon water system that says it is connected to the furnace but we don't use it and it may be turned off. We have multiple zones and all seem to be working.

My husband is an electrician and we kind of have a heat guy (he perfers commercial work). We often find people don't know about our boiler...

Any comments, feedback to help keep the boiler running is welcome. We are saving for a new one but it's monthes out. I'm also concerned for any safety issues.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    What is your location?
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    The heat maker was a boiler ahead of its time. That Supco igniter might be the issue. I have worked on a quite few of those boilers and have only used the igniter sold by heat maker for their boiler.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • doninvt
    doninvt Member Posts: 1
    If you still have plastic vent pipe (the inner pipe), that breaks easily and would feed exhaust back into the intake, maybe your problem? The plastic pipe was recalled years ago and unless there's a time limit you should be able to get it replaced with stainless steel for free.
    On the igniters, I don't think I ever got over 2 years out of one. I'm sure it would cost less to run a pilot light than all the expense for new igniters!