Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion analyzer

Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
I need to get new combustion analyzers. I am using Bacharach Furire Pros right now. I am looking for one that has field replacable co and o2 sensors so that I don't have to send them back all the time for calibration. Does anyone know of one that has them.

Comments

• Dan C.
    I was looking at this one. It doesn't measure O2 though it calculates it so I won't have to replace that sensor and the CO sensor is supposed to last 10 years. Will this O2 calculation be as accurate as measuring?http://www.ueitest.com/products/combustion/smart-bell-plus
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    I can recommend from E instruments a very good analyzer with built in printer. Check it out http://www.e-inst.com/
    I use the BTU1500 as our commercial clients require written documentation on startups as we prefer to do. The sensors are field changeable and easy to send back to factory to be re-certified calibrated. ( Another client requirement).
    They have several models. I also like their gas sniffer 7899.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I'm a Testo fanboy. Love my 327 analyzer.
  • Dan C.
    Which Testo do you use? I just looked at the 320. Looks about equal to what I have now.
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    We use Wohler. A little pricey, but have had great luck with the latest models.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    In the past year, I bought a Testo 320 and love it. The printer is a must in terms of documentation and CYA.
    Steve Minnich
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    I have a bacarach insight with the b smart sensors. They just send the sensors every year. I have had mine for four years.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Got a Testo 320 with printer, seems like great quality to me.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Testo 327 has done us well for years
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited September 2016
    Looking at a new Combustion tool myself before the crush really hits... My Wohler e335 was decent.
    Testo 320 still the preferred unit?
    I had a bad experience w/ Uei.
  • I have a bacarach insight with the b smart sensors. They just send the sensors every year. I have had mine for four years.

We haven't gone this route so I cannot speak from experience, but it seems to me the Bacharach program where they automatically resupply the sensors would be the way to go. With so many different things always hitting us from every direction, keeping analyzers up to date is just one more thing to worry about, and my understanding with this program is that the worry is gone.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    @kcopp, what kind of bad experience? I have the C155, which so far has given me no trouble, but we're just heading in to the first full season.
    SWEI
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited September 2016
    It was prob 6 years ago... It just plain did not work right out of the box. Numbers were way off. No where near where they should have been.
    Used it for a week.
    It was a "sale" from the supplyhouse. I returned it and got my Wohler.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I need a new analyzer and it's got the be the next major purchase I make, like this week or next and not beyond that.
    I'm very interested in the idea of sending the testing results to an email address and as far as I can tell, only Bacharach's "reporting app" does that with an iPhone. I feel like this technology should finally move beyond having to carry little printers in the field and extra rolls of....thermal paper? Really?
    I've been bouncing back and forth between Testo and Bacharach and haven't pulled the trigger because while my supplier does a great job of supporting Testo and has a great lending-during-repairs program, the ability to email myself/the client the results of a combustion analysis from the field is very attractive.

Discuss?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    kcoppdelta T
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    @njtommy didn't you just go through this and go with the Testo 320?

@JohnNY I agree, the slow thermal paper printer is a bit 1980s.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Yup I sure did Chris. Ended up going with the 320 because of its add on probes and sensors for gas leak detection, combustion air, and ambient co2 sensors.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited October 2016
    JohnNY said:

I'm very interested in the idea of sending the testing results to an email address and as far as I can tell, only Bacharach's "reporting app" does that with an iPhone.

I believe that is correct (at least as of six months ago, which was the last time I looked into it.) UEI has had the capability since 2011 on Android, but IOS had some BT limitations which prevented that functionality. We send an email with a BCC: to a back office address that logs all our CA reports. Very handy.

One of the Fieldpiece design engineers was in my NCI CO class last December taking a lot of notes and I cornered him on the subject, so it might be worth seeing where they are at on this.
    JohnNY
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I use the Bacharach Insight plus. The reporting app is kind of 'meh' so I made a simple add on to my FileMaker database. When you do a combustion test, you can arrow over to a QR code. I can shoot the QR code with my iPhone, select the customer, and put the results in the database. From there-email it, etc.
    I actually couldn't polish this off before fall hit, so in the spring or some spare time I'll really automate it-barcode on heating equipment brings up customer, take pic enters combustion tests.

The printer prints fast, about a second, so I still print them so I can leave a copy at the job. The real BS is that off the shelf Staples roll paper is like a millimeter too big, and I had problems with it-so you have to buy their paper which is ridiculously expensive (anyone have a cheaper source?).
    steve
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    I used the Testo 320 this morning for the first time. So far very happy with it and very easy to use. Just have to figure out how to save data and upload them to a computer in the next few weeks along with being able to print the customers address on the combustion receipt.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    I do not have printer, I just take photo with my phone of the screen in DocScan, then it can be emailed it as pdf if needed.
    JohnNYkcoppAlan (California Radiant) Forbes