Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator renovation

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
I filmed a video this weekend of a "cut and collapse" nipple extraction.

Here is the tube radiator ready for infrared testing. The base of this radiator has a bunch of baffles cast it, probably to even the steam flow to all the tubes.
I was able to thread a piece of 1/2 pex to the far end to see how well this conversion valve works.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
Solid_Fuel_ManErin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    You have the coolest job ever! :smiley:

I can't wait to see what it looks like on IR. The Honeywell Unique valves always intrigued me in terms of how well they flow...now adding non-connected columns to the mix, well, wow.

How will you bleed the air out? Maybe you answered that in a previous thread...if so, I apologize.

Beautiful radiator.

Andy
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    I drilled and tapped an 1/8 hole near the top opposite end. It had an 1/8 tap for the steam vent, about 1/2 way up that I flush plugged.

I'm not sure how the volumes will fill and heat with forced water compared to stem. i expect over a period of time the whole mass will warm, anxious to see how it fills and heats.

Thanks to Stephen for rescuing this beauty, the church it was removed from is 141 years old, maybe the radiator also?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    I believe that is a wrought iron radiator, made after the civil war they used rifle barrels left over from the war as the volumes/tubes.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    It will be interesting to see some thermal imaging of this. I would still try the vacuum pump on this before filling with water to see how much more water can be drawn up those tubes.

My radiator jealously just becomes worse.....

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Yes...that was my thought too. I have a device known as a "RadKit Plus" made by Snap-On made for refilling empty automotive cooling systems. It negates the need to burp air bubbles out of the system later.

Using shop air thru a Venturi, it draws down to about 27" vacuum, then you open a valve to allow the fluid in. It works wonders on vehicles that are notoriously difficult to purge air from (BMW, Subaru, some Hondas and Toyotas).

I wonder how well it would work on that type of radiator...would almost HAVE to be better than just filling and hoping the bubbles left in the columns aren't too much to prevent decent heat output.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    @FranklinD I held an ASE master automotive technician for many years. It's exactly the same thing that I brought over to my HVAC career. Pulling a vacuum on closed loop systems prior to filling works wonders for commissioning.

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!