Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar WHN vs. KHN low fire

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
edited September 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
Why is the floor mound KHN low fire lower than the wall mount WHN? I assumed they were the same HX and burner just in a different enclosure. Anyone know?

TS
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    10:1 instead of 5:1 TDR.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    They both advertise 10:1 TURNDOWN. Just looking if anyone knows the reason why the floor mount and wall wouldn't be the same hi and low fire.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    KBN and WHN = 5:1
    KHN = 10:1
    Steve Minnich
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Thanks guys, I stand corrected. Have been looking at a Lochinvar but my supplier just picked them up. No one knows a lot about them yet. They do not yet offer a 10:1 wall hung yet I assume. I don't have the brochure with me at the moment, but I believe the smallest 055 is only a 7:1 or something like that. The 085 and the 055 have the same low fire. We use Lochinvar quite a bit in the commercial setting for DHW, but small boilers I am not familiar with yet.

Thasks for your invaluable input!

TS
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I wonder that the KHN could not be wall mounted with a homemade bracket?

I hung one of the early Knights on my wall with some angle iron and threaded rod. Just check clearances from combustable.

Or possibly soon there will be the exact version you want :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    They're certainly light enough that they could be hung from a wall but I never want to give any manufacturer any reason to void a warranty.

I'm sure you're right about a Loch 10:1 wall mount coming in the future. I'm digging the floor mounts though because there always seems to be a lack of wall space.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I've also put them up on legs with small indirects below them, just some angle or pipe legs or strut to build a stand.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    I was actually considering the shelf approach. Working on some house plans for a friend. He wants to build next year, I'm to do all the mechanicals. Wanted to be sure the mechanical room was large enough. I said that a mechanical room is the best room in a building and is never large enough! Mine is my man-cave at 16x22

TS
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    theKHN foot print is only 13 d x 16 w so even on floor its really les than say a TT once you have all the trim off the bottom. and they need no back or right side clearance so a corner is fine
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    I do like the 1" copper right off the boiler too. They have one at my supplier on the floor, I was eyeing it pretty hard. One less leak point avoiding threaded adapters inho.
  • keyote
    The manual wasnt specific about mounting, it said to be sure it was level and advised to get it off the ground [ they were vaguely thinking a pad but not specifically requiring one] so i hung mine about a foot up to align the stubouts with where the near boiler pipes needed to fall.It was a concrete wall so i put a 2x2 angle below unit as a shelf and drilled three 3/8 holes along the top about 3 inches down, i used hilti epoxy and studs for that and the angle shelf, and a couple sheet metal screws through the angle back into the holes the unit was screwed to the pallet with.I put a couple washer behind to let a smidge of airflow.I can pick the unit up with one arm its really light, half the weight i bet of the wall mount TT110 i took out.
  • keyote
    I would have preferred 1/1/4" copper so i used a 1" sweat to 1 1/4" thread adapter then the webstone drain union purge valves. I suppose they have 1" HX but i thought 1" into DHW a bit small plus the 4 zone header was going to be 1 1/4""
    I think they should put a well for the supply sensor and include a LWCO ive spent two days trying to source the damn connector
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Cant you use the factory jumper to wire in the low cutoff? There is enough wire to crimp or solder a connection

My Supply sensor came with the well for it
    Boon
  • keyote
    youre right it had the well i meant that stub with the trigauge and prssure releif ought o have the sensor in already or some where internally
    the male plug they ship with the jumper doesnt have the other two internal metal contacts you need four wires for the lwco.
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    edited November 2016
    I see. I agree, its code around here
  • Gordy
    edited November 2016
  • Gordy
    edited November 2016