Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pp16pe wirning

I am trying to find a wiring diagram for a pp16pe. The unit was working fine up until a few weeks ago. Now the burner will lite but goes out after anywhere from 30sec. to a few mins.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Who makes the pp16pe? Maybe I have something in my library. I usually pretty good with numbers but that one did not ring a bell.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    What is a pp16pe?
    Steve Minnich
  • Woodland45_
    Woodland45_ Member Posts: 8
    It is a gas fired hot water boiler. MFD. by Hydronic Technology, Inc. Shrewsbury Ma. Min. 36,400 Btu/hr Max 121,500 Btu/hr. It is from the early 80's.
  • Woodland45_
    I did install a new flame sensor as my plumber said this is what was causing the problem. It worked find for about 5 mins or so then started to act the same way. I understand electric, very simple circuit. Needs to prove that the flame is on to turn on the gas, which it does. The burner does come on but will burn very low and then go out like the gas was shut off.
  • Tinman
    I would suggest checking the gas pressure.

If that checks out, my next step would be to make sure there is a proper ground on the flame rectification circuit.

There's more going on there in that simple circuit than meets the eye.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Does your pump work? It may be bumping limit?
    Steve Minnich
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    You say the flame comes on but burns very low and then goes out? is it yellow at all? is this an atmospheric boiler? I think Stephen is on to something with the gas pressure. I would start there. If you are uncomfortable with checking the gas pressure, check the "find a contractor" link on this site to see if you can find someone near you.

Hydronic Technology Inc. seems to not be a manufacturer but more of a system design/sales/training business. Is there any other information on the boiler tag? Pictures of the boiler could help.....

FWIW I have seen my fair share of bad regulators on the local utility's side of things, we have high pressure on the gas mains, with a regulator at the house before the meter. All of this is owned by the utility, they may also be able to come check your gas pressure and regulator (if you have one, some areas don't).
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    hmmm....... limited research online found only this singular link (and a vague one at that) for an actual manufacturer called Hydronic technoolgy inc. seems that them have been defunct for some time, posting is from 2006. Where did you get the flame sensor, was it a generic part?

http://www.boilerroom.com/wwwboard/home3/10926.shtml

I have never heard of this brand before, anyone else?
  • Tim McElwain
    That is a Paloma Pak and I have all kind of information on Paloma Paks. What are you specifically looking for?
  • Woodland45_
    Thank you all for the help. I know gas pressure is good. I have an outdoor wood boiler with a gas ignition and it works! Yes the company is now defunct. No the flame is blue and bright. I did find out today that there is a switch on the water outlet side to monitor temp that is wired to the gas valve to control gas flow. If i can figure out how to upload the photo it is to the left of center towards the back to black wires into the top and it is threaded into the water pipe. There is also a thermal fuse? resistor? that is mounted up behind the heat exchanger (has 125v7a on it, It is hanging in the right lower corner with the two white wires to it. No power to it and it is powered off the black wire from the flame sensor!
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Some nasty corrosion there.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    You cant get parts for that any longer. I would look into a replacement unit. What is it hooked into?
  • Tim McElwain
    I have all the manuals on the Paloma Pak are you interested in any of them or do you want parts? We have a company here in NE R.L. Gourley that used to have some parts.
  • Tinman
    It kills me when a boiler manufacturer can't use good wire management within their own product.
    Steve Minnich
    delta T
  • Woodland45_
    Tim at this point I could use a wiring diagram and where there should be power and when? I do have a plumber to come help me troubleshoot it today! Yes I know there is a lot of corrosion, I will be replacing this but it is a few years down the road. I have an outdoor wood boiler so this will be just to heat water during the non-heating season and for a backup if gone for more then a few days in the heating season.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    I would look at the water side. Pump head and flow rate are what opens and modulates the gas valve. Another common problem is if you look at the top of the heat exchanger you will often find the fins all screwed up , restricting the flow of the products of combustion.
    bob
  • kcopp
    I have the smaller version of this unit being removed from a condo soon. Customer is concerned about having it go down during the winter. You are welcome to any or all of it you want. Where is this? I am guessing New England since the unit was assembled in a town just outside of Worcester, Mass.
  • kcopp
    This is the boiler. In a closet.
  • kcopp
    Another one. In another condo. They still have a Bunch out there. They were great for small spaces. Typically here in condos. 42k btu.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The guys out at Low Energy in Denver have been involved with Paloma since the 1970s.

They may have parts or a donor unit.

www.tanklesswaterheaters.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Woodland45_
    I am in Montana. The plumber came out and after we talked about it for a little while and he looked at some things her figured out it was on the water side and that the pump was on the outlet side causing the water to aerate making the boiler think there was no flow. Moved the pump to the inlet side with a few pounds of pressure in the system after isolating the outside boiler and all is working great again.
    kcopp