Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

summer boiler

Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
edited July 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
just a simple boiler install in the middle of all the AC and refrigeration calls. 2 Williamson direct vent 95k boilers. we ran about 115 ft of fin tube for each boiler, split up into 3 seperate loops per boiler. i used triangle tube smart indirects. nothing crazy like ODR....customer wanted simplicity. i used all Viega propress fittings....caleffi feed valves with back flows...all Ward black fittings...i insulated all of the piping...

.the only think i forgot to do was sleave the copper through the concrete. 18 inch thick. o thought you guys would like to see a boiler install. this week was a break from hot attics and roofs. critique if youd like on areas where i can improve Paul S

ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
Harvey RamerSWEI

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Installation looks sound and should work well.

You asked to be critiqued so I will offer a few tips for the future. All air seps leak at some point in their life, therefore it is not the best idea to have them located above the boiler electronics. Or any other electronics or items that could be damaged from water. Same goes for the backflow preventer.

Another thing. I know microbubble seps have no requirements regarding lengths of straight piping on either side. I have noticed however, their performance on initial air purging is greatly enhanced if you have about a 1' section of straight piping to the inlet of the sep. I do so whenever the opportunity presents itself.
    Paul S_3
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited July 2016
    I had an electrical inspector point out that I had installed a CB panel on the wall above an existing DWV line that was mounted on the wall near the floor. He quoted chapter and verse of the NEC that any CB panel allows for no intrusions of other mechanicals, non electrical piping etc in the footprint (4" by 14.25" typically...residential) of the panels from floor to ceiling.

However common sense prevailed in that we were 10' below grade in the basement and it was very unlikely that any circuits would ever be run down thru the space taken by the DWV. :) As would be your case.

I see a disadvantage of the propress that the insulation can not be rolled around the elbows as in sweat fittings.

I agree with Harvey about the water drips. However it seems boiler/furnace manufactures could design cabinets to shed a little dripping issue. For instance the Lochinvar Knights seem to have a little water shedding design for the tops, I doubt if the touch screen could take much though.

Good looking job!
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Nice clean job but two oops:
    1) A circulator requires 5 diameters before and 3 after of straight pipe to prevent any cavitation. It is a rule of thumb that works.
    2) When piping or tubing passes through masonry or concrete, the portion of piping or tubing that runs through this material shall be sleeved or double wrapped with a waterproof wrap
    Zman
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    thanks for input guys... i appreciate it
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Harvey Ramer
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    For after the fact sleeves, I have taken the thin black poly tubing and split pieces to protect the copper from the concrete......if your hole is over sized enough. Over sized poly with the seam up would drain any leak one the way or the other.
    Allows for expansion/contraction movement also.