Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

corrosion on joints

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
edited July 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
We have a Phoenix water heater in an ince rink that has corrosion developing on the copper joints around it. Any idea why this is happening and what can be done about it???

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what can be done about it.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Is it an ammonia refrigeration system-maybe there is a leak.--NBC
    Tinman
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    is there a swimming pool or hot tub near by or a janitor that loves him some bleach
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    That top picture looks like the corrosion is on a cast iron fitting. Not the copper. The bottom picture looks like the corrosion is on the shut off valve, which doesn't look like brass. Looks like someone may have used the wrong fittings and there is a reaction between the copper and those fittings to me. There is one copper to copper fitting in that second picture that looks like maybe a tiny leak in that solder joint.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    Fred said:

That top picture looks like the corrosion is on a cast iron fitting. Not the copper. The bottom picture looks like the corrosion is on the shut off valve, which doesn't look like brass. Looks like someone may have used the wrong fittings and there is a reaction between the copper and those fittings to me. There is one copper to copper fitting in that second picture that looks like maybe a tiny leak in that solder joint.

They're soldered.
    They're brass.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    ChrisJ said:

Fred said:

They're soldered.
    They're brass.
    I saw they were soldered but they just don't look like brass
  • ChrisJ
    Fred said:

ChrisJ said:

Fred said:

They're soldered.
    They're brass.
    I saw they were soldered but they just don't look like brass
    it's either your monitor, or a combination of the camera that took the pictures and your monitor.

They're soft soldered and you're not going to soft solder cast iron or steel. Silver solder with the proper rod and flux yes but I'm sure that's not the case especially considering all of the propress going on there.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Dezincification. Somethin in the water is leaching the zinc out of the brass. These newfangled brass alloys with no lead have more zinc. Ol' Hot Rod should know a bunch about this.
    bob
    kcoppGordyChrisJ
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Dezincification was the 1st thing I thought of and then bob mentioned it...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I would suspect something in the water also, check ph first
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Quite amazing how water is the most universal solvent on the planet........
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

Quite amazing how water is the most universal solvent on the planet........

And you have a ton of it all through your floors under pressure just waiting to do damage.

:)