Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How are we doing?

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
I'd love to hear your thoughts about HeatingHelp.com and how we're doing. What do you like and what can we do to further improve your experience on the site?

Thank you for your feedback and for being part of this great community!
President
HeatingHelp.com

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I like the new wall. I really do. It's easy to use and nicely laid out.

Someday, if you are so inclined, it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see a small corner of the wall turned into a professionals only section. A no-nonsense place where we can quickly and easily solve technical problems and share ideas and knowledge that might be dangerous for a diy'er. Also would be a good place to share new equipment glitches and the fixes away from the general publics eye. I believe it would enhance professional participation in the wall.

Thanks for all you do!
    New England SteamWorksPaul S_3Rich_49
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    @Harvey Ramer - Thanks for your post and suggestion. Glad you are enjoying the new layout. We are too!

We've talked about a professionals-only section over the years, but kept coming back to this: How do you define who is a professional? We've got members here who don't necessarily work for an HVAC company or manufacturer, yet they provide us with valuable insight and perspective.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Canucker
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I'm not a professional.
    Retired and loving it.
    New England SteamWorksSWEIGordyChrisJRich_49
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    I see Harvey's point. There are other sites that offer a proffesional corner. There are always the group private messages. Not quite as exciting as engaging in a proffesional only open forum. A higher level think tank so to speak.
    Rich_49
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    how about a "wall of pride" section where we can post pictures of our work whether its air conditioning, heating etc
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    Erin,
    The only complaint I have about the forum is often not being able to tag, or even go to the profile of anyone with a space in their name.

For example I cannot tag @Paul S
    It puts his name in quotes.

Aside from that, it's a great place.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    Oh, nice.
    OK so it worked that time. Maybe something got fixed recently. :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited July 2016
    All seems well, and I see no changes made which will confuse the old folks here!!
    I would like to see the "Holohan Seminars" article retitled as the "Dan Holohan" seminars. Like some others here, (Ray Wolfarb, and others), I think the whole name is needed.
    I would also like to see the steam section up at the top of the list, so that newbies can find their way.--NBC
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited July 2016
    @DanHolohan - If you're not a professional, none of us are professionals. You just use different tools. That said, I agree with Harvey.
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Oh, and this place ROCKS.
    Steve Minnich
    SWEIPaul S_3Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm going to take all of this into consideration.

What are your thoughts about the rest of the website, beyond The Wall?
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Just a few minor issues, really. The duplicate username issue continues to cause headaches when trying to mention or link to certain people. If you could re-name the inactive users that have duplicate names it might clear that up.

The biggest for me is probably the search feature, both on and off The Wall. It can be quite difficult to find old posts, especially when the search terms are fairly common. How about an advanced search feature where we can constrain things to a specific forum, search only in titles, only from certain posters, etc.?

thanks~
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    There is an advanced search function, but (AFAIK) it's "hidden". If you do a wall search in the results the search bar will now show a drop down arrow. If you click that drop down arrow it will show advanced search functions. I don't know of another way to get to it so if someone knows please enlighten us!

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    SWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Thanks, had not seen that -- far more useful.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The duplicate names had me stumped for awhile.
    For instance there is an Omaha contractor, (relative BTW) and also a east coast homeowner who are both "Mike".
    The contractor was on for a long time, started on the old wall before I signed up.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    I'll see if we can make the advanced search more apparent.

The duplicate name situation may be challenging because these were names imported over from the older site. The bright side is that we were able to bring over all of the older content.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Just a thought ,

Maybe a section for people who post often. I can understand not wanting to divide the group into pro or non - pro. Maybe not a " War Room " but perhaps a " Tavern " where regulars can sort things out or " speak freely " without fear of offending sponsors , companies , etc.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Rich_49
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    I'm with Harvey I agree it'd be nice to have a pro section. And to define professional I hate to leave out pros who work for companies but maybe an HVAC business section. Owning a business certainly don't make you a pro, however it separates DIYers and hobbyists, and maybe will allow us to discuss pricing, not only of jobs but comparisons of equipment. Just a thought.....
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    Rich_49
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. When we built this site, we intended for it to be an inclusive place where everyone can go for resources and education. I think the variety of perspectives that we have here is part of what makes this place unique. And, as I said before, we have a lot of very smart people here who may not own or work for an HVAC company.

Most people here use screen names instead of their real names so there would be no way to tell who is a company owner or employee. And that adds a separate logistical challenge.

We've had homeowners tell us that they are impressed by how knowledgeable you are. I think it's good for them to see the thought and hard work that goes into these jobs. You raise the bar for the industry.

We can't discuss pricing because it gets into anti-trust issues. And discussing pricing in a private area could lead to price fixing, which is against the law.

And our sponsors keep the lights on around here and allow us to keep this website free.

Any thoughts on the rest of the website?
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Paul S said:

how about a "wall of pride" section where we can post pictures of our work whether its air conditioning, heating etc

@Paul S - We have this already through Find a Contractor. Contractors can post a slideshow of their work alongside their contact information.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Erin Holohan Haskell

All seems well, and I see no changes made which will confuse the old folks here!!
    I would like to see the "Holohan Seminars" article retitled as the "Dan Holohan" seminars. Like some others here, (Ray Wolfarb, and others), I think the whole name is needed.
    I would also like to see the steam section up at the top of the list, so that newbies can find their way.--NBC

Great point about the naming, @nicholas bonham-carter - especially since we've got more than one Holohan hanging around!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com