Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why you need a pressure relief valve

Options
BobC
BobC Member Posts: 5,478
Show this to the next person that questions why you need a working pressure relief valve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTjNhQcCHls

Bob
Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
3PSI gauge
ChrisJGreenGeneNew England SteamWorksPaul S_3

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    They won't believe you.
    The typical "that'll never happen to me".

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    As a kid i remember seeing some holes in roofs cause by the old stack heaters.

The really old ones were kerosene fired, imagine having to upend a 5 gallon jug of kerosene without getting it all over the place. A friends mother was in a 3rd floor apt with a kerosene stack heater, I can remember going down to the corner gas station to refill the jug and hauling it back in a wagon. Then we had to carry it up the stairs and upend it into place.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    GreenGene
  • GreenGene
    GreenGene Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Saw a disconnected old gas water water in a very old house once, it was about a 20 gallon tank mounted above a basic gas burner for a stove, it was manufactured not something cobbled together, apparently when you wanted hot water you would go in the basement, strike a match, open the gas valve and light the burner, wait a bit a and then do whatever, this thing had no prv and no temp control, surely some poor souls forgot about turning it off, that one may have been a sole survivor, wish I had a camera at the time.