Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toured the USS Olympia

KC_Jones
KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
Spent the weekend in Philadelphia with friends. We toured the USS Olympia on Sunday. As soon as I walked in I saw this little gem and I just had to share it. Plenty of these all over the ship.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
SWEIFranklinDPaul S_3

Comments

• FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Beauty! I posted last summer with some pictures of pipe radiators from the whaleback ship that we have in town here...all over the ship, some huge, some small, still has the original coal fired boiler too. The nautical stuff is super interesting to me.

Someone, may have been Steamhead, mentioned in that post that they ran pretty high pressure through them too, 60psi is the number I seem to recall. I'll have to look up the old thread.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • BillW
    BillW Member Posts: 198
    Did you get a chance to check out the refrigeration plant and the engine room? Both are amazing. Complex mechanicals at their best.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Yes I saw the refrigeration plant. The engine room could only be seen from above when I was there, they don't let you down into it. I have seen those triple expansion engines in action on the John W. Brown liberty ship in Baltimore which still cruises.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15