Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam trap conversions

Options
aircooled81
aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
Hoffman 17C's, think some have been converted to barnes and jones with the 122 or 3500 cap.
Anyone have an opinion on which basket works better, When you need to rebuild?
Barnes and Jones sight is a bit confusing, does the 3500 or 122 require removal of the 17c's seat?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Sailah from Barnes and Jones posts on this site and I'm sure he can answer any question you have about those. If he doesn't respond shortly, you may want to PM him. He is usually very responsive.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    The Hoffman 17c came in 2 varieties. Old & new style. The old style are conical shaped like an ice cream cone and do not require a new cover, you would reuse the existing cover. The new style Hoffman 17C (Bear Trap) are flat like a hockey puck and do require a new cover, PN 3500C.

photo 17C old  new_zps6iqtmje7.jpg

Both Hoffmans require you to remove the seat which is a 3/4" hex. Both also use the same cage unit which is PN 3500. If you already have a cover from us stamped 3500 then you do not need a cover you just need a 3500 to renew the trap.

The Barnes and Jones 122A is a different trap entirely, made by us. The correct cage unit for it is PN 1721 and does not require a new cover or seat removal. The covers do not interchange between a 122A and a 17C.

Your question about which basket is better I do not understand. Functionally the cage units are identical in performance from a 122A to a 17C. They use the same diaphragm, same calibration, same testing etc. One just fits the 17C, one fits the 122A. Call me if you need to.

Peter

Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    SWEI
  • aircooled81
    aircooled81 Member Posts: 205
    Options
    @Sailah
    Thank you Peter. I had done a bunch of searching last night, what you were able to explain above so well.
    Regarding which is better, I just wanted to know if rebuilding a hoffman with barnes and jones basket was an upgrade, same quality or benefit. I think you explained it well enough to me here though.
    Thank you very much for posting the pics, and a hockey puck, spot on description!
    It took a while for me to figure out, 17C's can be rebuilt to use a barnes and jones basket, if you replace the cover. The confusion was the cover being stamped barnes and jones 3500, while the trap looked just like a hoffman 17c.
    Fantastic reply, can't thank you enough
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options

@Sailah
    Thank you Peter. I had done a bunch of searching last night, what you were able to explain above so well.
    Regarding which is better, I just wanted to know if rebuilding a hoffman with barnes and jones basket was an upgrade, same quality or benefit. I think you explained it well enough to me here though.
    Thank you very much for posting the pics, and a hockey puck, spot on description!
    It took a while for me to figure out, 17C's can be rebuilt to use a barnes and jones basket, if you replace the cover. The confusion was the cover being stamped barnes and jones 3500, while the trap looked just like a hoffman 17c.
    Fantastic reply, can't thank you enough

if you replace the guts of a modern hoffman 17c with the barnes and jones 3500 cage unit you will see a significant improvement in the traps performance as far as its ability to move air out of the radiator quickly.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

SWEI