Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My first radius fitting...

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
edited June 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
in about 10 years. It's kind of like riding a bike. A little wobbly at first but it comes back to you.

I had sold all my fabricating equipment years ago but in the last 2 months I've been getting killed on having someone else make custom made fittings for various jobs. So, I reinvested to a degree. It's the one thing I miss about that side of the industry, making fittings.
Steve Minnich
SWEI

Comments

• Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    nice job @Stephen Minnich
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Tinman
    Thank you @PaulS. I had someone make 2 simple y-branch fittings for me last week. After I got the bill, I knew it was time to get an Easy Edger and a Slip Roll. The Slip Roll is the oldest one I've ever seen but it works fine.
    Steve Minnich
    Paul S_3
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Cool .

I worked in a shop many years ago. The old man that I worked under used to say " whoever named this thing " Easy - Edger " never had to ( bleeping ) use it ".

I once launched " The Radius Revolution " in the shop that I worked. I made every square heel / throat that was listed in a curved fashion. This lasted for a few days before it was squashed by management , lol. I miss having a shop to make stuff sometimes.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Tinman
    Yea, it's fun and challenging. I use to have an edger on top of a Lockformer machine and that's a piece of cake. Doing it manually is an art.
    Steve Minnich
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited June 2016
    I worked in a factor for over 30 years, even when I was in management you'd find me down in the machine shop building something before work or during lunch (ruined a few ties that way). Nothing fancy, just whatever I needed to perform a test or to fix something from home.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    We make most of our tin as well. We just got a new shear, as the old one lost to much babbitt, & it's getting hard to find dinosaur hide to make new drive belts... The new one's Japanese IIRC.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Nice work but a poor design .
    bob
    Hatterasguy
  • Tinman
    That depends. Sometimes an imperfect design is the best case answer to what field conditions dictate. But in this case, the fitting will likely never be used. It's 6" x 6" and I made it just to get back in the groove.
    Steve Minnich