Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brazing/soldering copper to steel or brass

whiteke12
whiteke12 Member Posts: 13
I have been using Mapp/Oxygen for this and brass rod with powder flux. Half the time it looks beautiful, but the other half looks like hell.

With the current setup of Mapp/Oxygen, is there any universal rod with flux that would work with both. Safety Silv 45 is what I was told or 15? Working on refrigeration lines that are 1/4". Or any suggestions?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I use 45% with flux & Turbo

Search this site theirs several videos
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    JW Harris website is another good source. I've been trying copper to stainless brazing and found the flux coated rod works best.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • whiteke12
    What is the flux coated rod name? Appreciate all the responses.
  • whiteke12
    Is there a universal rod for copper to steel and brass?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Safety-sil 45 is the Harris brand of brass or copper to steel flux coated rod.

Regular brass brazing rod with powder flux works fine also. I have used copper wire, like #12 Romex wire to braze copper and steel

Use a fine tip oxy acetylene torch for good flame and temperature control when brazing. A soldering torch is to wide of a flame and not hot enough for brazing all but the smallest of tube or pieces
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    cutter Member Posts: 292
    Google your question, there is a lot of information out there. Copper gives off fumes when welding it that is not good for you. I did not see that mentioned though when I googled it. Lots of information on TIG welding copper. There should be some on oxygen/acetylene welding copper.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The joint must be clean clean clean. Then use the thin roll of 45% and use oxy / act. You also need a paste flux. You need around 1400*f for a good joint, it will flow like 50/50 when cleaned and fluxed.
  • whiteke12
    I started practicing again....the cleaner I get, the better it goes...and the right heat. I think I have a better understanding today. Clean, clean, clean like you said is number one, then heat.

Last three went well with rods I have but still might pick up flux coated rods...I do not need an external paste then correct?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    With coated rod no but the coating gets damp sometimes so i still use paste
  • whiteke12
    Ok perfect. Thanks for all the help. Think I got straightens out.