Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Generator Selection

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
The topic of which generator to choose for home standby power has come up time and again. This genset is the best I have seen or installed so far. It is quieter, far better built and is easy and smart to service. It uses a rugged digital controller built by a manufacturer that makes electronic product for our military. The generator is built in USA. That is also a bonus!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    I'm not surprised for the cost.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    They let you put it so close to the window?
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Pumpguy said:

They let you put it so close to the window?

It's not as close as it looks in the picture.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Air-cooled and still quiet? Nice...
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Sounds like a great unit. Makes sense to buy quality anytime you need to buy but especially where it needs to provide backup power services, assuming experience or need demands it be there and functional during those critical times.
  • SWEI
    I've been dealing with gensets in critical power applications since the 1980s. The overwhelming majority of those marketed as residential backup units are frankly junk. Winco has always made good products (and they actually support what they sell.)

It's important to consider environmental conditions, running hours, non-operation intervals, required servicing schedules, and long-term fuel stability when making a purchasing decision.
    Harvey Ramer4Johnpipe
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Where I live, it is not permitted to have one within five feet of a potentially combustible wall, whether there is a window there or not.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,172
    Actually, while it is true one doesn't use it all that often -- I've only actually had to use mine twice this winter, both times when someone tried to drive through a power pole, when you need it, you need it (not only for heat -- but we're a farm, and the stock needs water!). And sometimes... a couple of years ago, the power went out for a week and a half, and then you really do need it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Depends how bad your power service is. When I worked at the power company my boss lived in a small neighborhood that was at the end of a low amp feeder. She called it the land that the power company forgot. She had extended outages roughly once a month. She had a 10kw generator installed with a transfer switch. Oh she wasn't on our system, but working for a power company she knew complaining was a waste in her scenario. I'd never have one, but if my power was as bad as hers I probably would.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    My 1992 4KW Coleman is louder than a dump truck going through a nitroglycerin plant but it's been reliable since day one and gets the power on.

Yes it's a pain, yes it's loud, honestly, that's an understatement but it does the job

Again, I suppose it depends on your income and how often you need such a thing. Our power almost never goes out. Was out for 3 days after Sandy and we lived by candle light most of the time.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    In some cases, people have frequent power outages and worse yet, there are those that have life supporting dependencies that require a dependable source of power 100% of the time. I too have a portable generator and it's not a problem for me to drag it out and hook a couple things up when/if I need to. I remember a few years ago, we had a neighbor who had to have dialysis everyday. None of us were aware and he was too proud to ask for help. The power was out for about four days. He died a couple days after the power came back on. We never knew if it was the result of not having power/dialysis for those four days or just a coincidence. Everybody's story is different.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I've thought about a backup genny, but power outages are few and far between here. I do have 200 watts of solar on my garage roof, 400 amp/hr of storage, and a 1kw 'pure' sinewave inverter.

Normally, I just run lights, garage door opener, and other small stuff in the garage off of it and so far, state of charge has never dropped below 80%. But last year, during a 16 hr outage, it was about 5 degrees...I ran a 50ft, 12 gauge cord into the house and ran the boiler and circulator no problem. Obviously refrigeration isn't a problem in the winter, so heat and lights are the main concern for us.

Winco does make a nice unit, though.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I bought a 5kw portable generator about 10 years ago. I figured it was just a matter of time before we had an ice storm, and lost power for an extended period. It hasn't happened yet, but it's like insurance. It won't power everything in the house at once, but I'm not concerned with all the creature comforts, should it happen. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd go for a whole-house generator. Wish in one hand, sh.. in the other
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    @FranklinD I've been thinking about something like that for my house but I'm not sure it's warranted. In 35 years I've lost power for more than 24 hours ONCE (Hurricane Bob 6 days). Power did go out during a blizzard in 2014 for 20 hours when a transmission line snapped it got down to the 40's in the house. Any other outages have been for a few hours when a pole gets hit or a transformer lets go.

One ace I do have is my kitchen's gas stove is underneath the bathroom so in a pinch I can keep the pipes from freezing unless something extraordinary happens. It's a gamble but a good winter coat has done me for half my life and I'm willing to believe it will do for the rest of it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ERF
    ERF Member Posts: 51
    Perkins Diesel 9KW installed 2006, saved me many times, worth every cent when you are out for 2 and 3 weeks and it is freezing weather.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Here is the thing about backup generators. They only break when you really need them. And it so happens, the service guy, who lives in the same area and is subjected to the same storms you are, is quite busy with dire emergency repair work. Therefore it is advisable to make the investment that pays dividends when you really need them.

This generator has what a generator needs. Everything from asthetitics to class-H insulation on the generator windings. Unlike these gensets that have the generator windings done in China and use a good grade of rainwater as insulation for the windings. There is, in fact a huge difference in quality between Generac, Kohler and such branded equipment, and Winco. Winco beats them all hands down.

So for somebody who wants something quality that works when work is needed, this is the genset you want. I have seen no problems with running some of the newer electronic systems that demand clean power.

It is more expensive, yes. Or is it? Add it all up.
    4Johnpipe
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I completely agree that quality is the very important for a backup genset that you depend on.

Overseas we had 3ea 60kw late 1930's Japanese generators that sent power (5,100v 3 phase) up the side of the mountain to power our transmitters. They were very well built and still ran great after 40 years of use, they were also well maintained.

If that power went down we had an ingersol rand 30kw diesel unit with a 275 gallon tank next to it in a cinder block shed, the tank and the crankcase had heater on them - it gets very cold on a Korean mountain top.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SWEI

There is, in fact a huge difference in quality between Generac, Kohler and such branded equipment, and Winco. Winco beats them all hands down.

To be fair, there is Kohler and there is Kohler. The commercial/industrial stuff they build is top notch.