Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coupling for steam pipe?

Jimzito
Jimzito Member Posts: 1
Do they make a simple coupling to join two pieces of steel steam pipe such that a corroded piece can be replaces by cutting both ends, replacing a new piece of pipe then use some type of compression coupling to join the two pieces?
I'm looking for something simple.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    You can clean up the area of a pinhole leak, and put a pipe clamp with rubber gasket over it. This will buy time, but is not a permanent repair.--NBC
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    How big is the pipe? If 2" or less, relatively simple for a contractor to cut out the bad section, re-thread, and reconnect. More complicated if the pipe is larger than 2". Why don't you send us a picture?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Viega MegaPress is approved for low pressure steam.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I'd love to know how well the Megapress holds up over 20 years or so, I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    dresser coupling
    RJ
    Danny Scully
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I wouldn't use a dresser on a steam. Maybe on a wet return, but only temporarily. If you do use a dresser, you need to support both sides and prevent the pipe from moving laterally.
    dennis53
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    used them for years. no leaks
    RJ
    Danny Scully
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    How do you stop a steam pipe from moving laterally?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    RJ said:

dresser coupling

One of these had been installed on 1" steam line in my house before I bought it. It worked fine for about 8 years before it started leaking. Fortunately, it was in readily accessible part of the basement.

Lesson learned: re-pipe with a threaded connection.

ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Easily done with a pipe cutter, some threading oil and a ratcheting manual threader.

Even easier with a power threader if you're lucky enough to own one.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    A Swiss company sells very expensive clamps that is supposed to work under far more challenging conditions than low pressure steam.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    How about a Baker coupling? Grease the compression rings and don't over tighten. Will that allow movement from thermal cycles? Steam is miniscule pressure.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    isn't a baker same as a dresser? just different companies.
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2016
    All sounds like bandaids that will fail in the neat future.

What's so hard about threading a pipe in place these days!? If it's not a shark bite or pex people throw a fit. :)

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    We still don't know the size of the pipe do we?

I have a customer with a no longer needed 3 1/2" steam main (still connected to header) that is seeping on the bottom. If they needed to keep it then a welder would be the only solution. I have advised them to get the welder in the spring and cut and cap it off. Not a thread in place item ;) .
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

We still don't know the size of the pipe do we?

I have a customer with a no longer needed 3 1/2" steam main (still connected to header) that is seeping on the bottom. If they needed to keep it then a welder would be the only solution. I have advised them to get the welder in the spring and cut and cap it off. Not a thread in place item ;) .

Think about all of those steam mains and run outs that were all threaded by hand.

2", 3" etc.

Welding I suppose is fine too, but like threading it's a skill.
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    Why not use a union ? Pretty simple if you are replacing a section.
  • JUGHNE
    I think about someone with really big arms everytime I look at 3 to 4" threaded pipe that was installed in 1915 before electricity was even in this town..........but this was done standing on the ground with a good pipe vise. Not on an 8' stepladder as some repairs might require. Is 3 1/2" threader and fittings common, just curious.
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2016
    @JUGHNE

But all in all, you know my meme is still correct regarding modern plumbers.

I shouldn't even say "modern"

Young plumbers......
    Guys only using pex and who would actually use a shark bite on a job.
  • JUGHNE
    Yes, refusing to use any type of PEX for H & C supplies has helped to ease me out of most of the plumbing work.....copper sweat or black pipe work only is pretty well all I do in that trade.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    JUGHNE said:

I think about someone with really big arms everytime I look at 3 to 4" threaded pipe that was installed in 1915 before electricity was even in this town..........but this was done standing on the ground with a good pipe vise. Not on an 8' stepladder as some repairs might require. Is 3 1/2" threader and fittings common, just curious.

I don't know how common, but I'm guessing not very. I have a 3 1/2" main and my plumbing supply store was THRILLED to sell me a 4" to 3.5" T fitting. They said they had 2 left and hadn't sold one in about 10 years. I almost bought the other "just in case".

@ChrisJ , I had a terrible time finding a compression fitting when I recently changed out the broken fixture in my old claw foot tub. I finally found one at my old faithful old-fashioned supply store. Every other plumbing supply ONLY sold shark bite fittings.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF