Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus 215 exhaust leak

I have a customer with a Buderus 215 the is leaking exhaust from between the sections. The boiler is 12-14 years old. I have never had to deal with this kind of problem. My question is how to go about fixing it. Do I have to take the sections apart or is there a sealant to inject without taking it apart. I have attached pics of my temp fix.
Aaron Hamilton Heating
ahheating@ yahoo.com
(207)229-7717

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    There is a sealing rope in between the sections, never seen it degrade before. Was the block installed assembled?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2016
    Yes the boiler was brought in one piece. So I have to take the sections apart then put it back together.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Robert O'Brien
    Can't be fun, i would think the RTV would do as well? The 115 uses an RTV like material
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Did you call Buderus?
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    I have not called them yet calling them tomorrow. Not looking forward to taking it apart hopefully I won't have to.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    nicholas bonham-carter
  • spoon22
    spoon22 Member Posts: 32
    We had one about 10 years ago I think we replaced the block. Taking the sections apart would suck
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Finally talked to Buderus. They said the RTV would be fine it might have to be redone every once and a while. I could take the sections apart and redo it but for a 12 to14 year old boiler he said not to bother.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • ppile_67
    ppile_67 Member Posts: 2
    Working through the same problem now. My G215 was installed 15 years ago by Swezey’s fuel oil company and developed exhaust leak between two sections of the block. The Swezey tech tried using a sealant from Buderus (PK-W11) applied external at site of leak. Breaking apart the block not good option on a boiler this old as labor costs and risk of another failure too high. Curious what fraction of the G215’s fail in this manor. I would guess that the problem is with aging of gasket material....why a metal gasket was not used for the seal material in an application such as this is puzzling to me given the high-end billing for this heating unit. I’ll post again once the sealant cures...this is Swezey’s second try at sealing the leak as first attempt failed.
  • ppile_67
    ppile_67 Member Posts: 2
    Leak fix worked on my Buderus 215....Two thumbs up for Swezey’s!