Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco iSeries 3 way setpoint

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I had a recent bad experience with multiple SWT's and a mod con so I'm curious as to what your experiences have been with the Taco iSeries 3 way setpoint? I have another job starting in a week with 3 high temp zones and 3 low temp zones, mod con, and a buffer tank. Reliability means everything to me and this seems like it may be a good option.
Steve Minnich

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I have used these a number of times. I do like them as its not just a "stupid" mixing valve that outputs 1 temp.
    It does outdoor reset and are pretty easy to set up. The dipswitches make my eyes a bit buggy but that could be me just needing reading glasses......
    What would be great is if they could make it so these could just slide into a standard mix valve and upgrade a system w/o any soldering.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @kcopp - Thanks for the input. I'll be using the ODR from the boiler control. The existing system is a 13 year old Munchkin and a 4 way mixing valve for the low temp zones. I'm not sure why they used a 4 way in that application.
    Steve Minnich
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Unless the 4 way is remote from the boiler, I see no need for it with a mod/con.

I think you'll find the iSeries reliable, I still prefer VSI based upon ODR. Material costs are about the same, but it does require a little more piping. No Cv issues to deal with.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Tinman
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    I understand you'll be using the ODR on the boiler . I suggest using it for your high temp zones and ISeries ODR valve/s for your low temp zones . This has worked real well for us .

Only issues I have ever seen with The ISeries line is when someone mistakenly locates wire terminals over pipe other than the supply . Valve gets very confused
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    TinmanSWEI
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    If the highest temp loop is controlled by boiler ODR, a static percentage mix can often work. Haven't tried a PICCV for this yet, but I suspect that might help in decoupling the radiant zone somewhat from flow changes in hotter zone(s.)