Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keeping hydrated. What to drink?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
edited January 2016 in THE MAIN WALL
July 2015 I stopped drinking soda after drinking almost nothing but.

However, I found drinking only water made me sick under certain conditions such as working out in the heat. Now I always keep some 100% grape or orange juice on hand. I'll also drink some Gatorade if I'm sweating a lot.

Right now I've got 24 16 ounce bottles of water chilled to 32-34F. Funny thing, once you get used to it, good water tastes better than cola especially when it's ice cold.

How about you? How do you survive in the heat, or the cold for that matter?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Hard to beat good drinking water. Have you considered a filter for your tap water instead of buying bottled water?

Most of that bottled water starts as tap water run through a couple filtration process. Carbon block filters may be all you need to get the same results as what is in the bottles.

Hot tea is my go to drink for the winter, and in summer I do sun tea in a large glass bottle.

I also got a small juices for a present last year, in the summer when local fruits and vegetables are fresh I'll come up with some juice concoction every morning.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Blue powerade. Always have some in the cooler in my truck in the summer. No cooler needed in Chicago winters. ;)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    hot rod said:

Hard to beat good drinking water. Have you considered a filter for your tap water instead of buying bottled water?

Most of that bottled water starts as tap water run through a couple filtration process. Carbon block filters may be all you need to get the same results as what is in the bottles.

Hot tea is my go to drink for the winter, and in summer I do sun tea in a large glass bottle.

I also got a small juices for a present last year, in the summer when local fruits and vegetables are fresh I'll come up with some juice concoction every morning.

Yeah, I've looked into filters.
    Problem wasn't the upfront cost, it was the maintenance cost of replacing the filters often.

I've used things from Brita, didn't like it. There's also a lazy factor of liking putting the bottles in the fridge and just grabbing them.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    There's many summer days doing attic AC work where I will take a gallon of water when I leave the house in the am, and it's empty on the drive home. I try to stick to water, and these days only water as a recent physical turned up really high sugar count.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Kombacha,try it.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Couple'a gallons of H2O in the truck, always. They freeze in the winter, but they'll thaw. I'll pick up some Gatoraid, error, sports drink if I know I'm going to be working outside lots. The occasional energy drink, but that's like a 6 a year habit so I don't think it counts.

I used to drink a bubba keg of coffee in the morning, but they said that was the cause of the kidney stones, so I cut back to just a normal sized cup.

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2016
    Straight Water. I drink about 6-8 bottles a day. Rule of thumb = Body weight/2 = Number of Ounces you should drink each day.

Start my day out with Advocare Spark, 2 Ammino's, 2 Omegas, 2 Probiotics then a meal replacement shake with 23Grams Protein mix with a tbl spoon of Spurlina. Mixed with water.

Haven't drank a coffee nor soda, anything except water and that occasional glass of wine. Its made a huge difference in how I feel/start each day and don't get that energy or mid afternoon crash. Also get rid of White Breads and go Whole Grain!

Its not the water making you sick it's the dehydration. Best way to beat the heat is to start hydrated not try to catch up. Learn that lesson humping the pack 24 miles every Friday from the front to the back gates at Camp Lejune. Semper Fi!
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
    Bob Bona_4
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Oh yah, the grain. That's my preferred way to replenish electrolytes. ;)
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    That's true Chris, I haven't felt the sugar crash like I used to when I drank snapple or any other sugar drinks. I've been eating very deliberately to keep energy up
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I work as an equipment mechanic, and I'll never forget the day I quit drinking soda...out on a huge concrete apron, sun blazing down on me (in full coveralls) as I replaced a huge hydraulic hose on an excavator in front of our fire department...I sweat just thinking about it. I just about fainted several times. That's when the realization about dehydration hit (reinforced by the horrible sickness that followed once I got home).

Since then, every morning, I load up 4-16 oz bottles of water and 2-32oz bottles of red "sports drink"...I mix them about 2/3 water to 1/3 sports drink. And they're gone by the end of shift every day. Even in the winter...it gets so insanely dry here at -10 or so that it goes just as quickly as in the summer.

I'm lucky in terms of the water quality...our water comes from 3000 feet out in Lake Superior from a depth of about 500 feet. It's about as clean and pure as you can get. Bottled water is okay but it all tastes like plastic to me.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2016
    Chris said:

Straight Water. I drink about 6-8 bottles a day. Rule of thumb = Body weight/2 = Number of Ounces you should drink each day.

Start my day out with Advocare Spark, 2 Ammino's, 2 Omegas, 2 Probiotics then a meal replacement shake with 23Grams Protein mix with a tbl spoon of Spurlina. Mixed with water.

Haven't drank a coffee nor soda, anything except water and that occasional glass of wine. Its made a huge difference in how I feel/start each day and don't get that energy or mid afternoon crash. Also get rid of White Breads and go Whole Grain!

Its not the water making you sick it's the dehydration. Best way to beat the heat is to start hydrated not try to catch up. Learn that lesson humping the pack 24 miles every Friday from the front to the back gates at Camp Lejune. Semper Fi!

Hi Chris,

I believe when I got sick I was drinking too much water and not getting any electrolytes. Just off the top of my head, I believe I downed something like 192 ounces of water throughout the day and didn't eat anything. By the end I ended up shaking and feeling off so I downed a Gatoraid. Shortly after I started feeling a whole lot better.

I probably should have stopped and ate something as well, but I had something I needed to finish.

I don't know how A\C guys tolerate the heat they do. We had some guys come in and replace the A\C in the attic over my office and it had to be 120-130 in that attic and I have no idea how they were able to work there.
  • hot_rod
    ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

Problem wasn't the upfront cost, it was the maintenance cost of replacing the filters often.

I've used things from Brita, didn't like it. There's also a lazy factor of liking putting the bottles in the fridge and just grabbing them.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to filter out?

I have an EverPure 300 under my sinks, does 300 gallons or so for 98 bucks a cartridge from filters fast.com . I change them once a years, so $.33 per gallon.

Best off the shelf price I have seen for bottled water around here is Wal-mart 3 gallons containers for 12 bucks. So 4 bucks a gallon. Maybe it's filtered from Flint water :)

If your buying 16 oz bottles you may be paying 4-7 bucks a gallon? Drinking a gallon a day of bottled water, do the math.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

I have an EverPure 300 under my sinks, does 300 gallons or so for 98 bucks a cartridge from filters fast.com . I change them once a years, so $.33 per gallon.

Best off the shelf price I have seen for bottled water around here is Wal-mart 3 gallons containers for 12 bucks. So 4 bucks a gallon. Maybe it's filtered from Flint water :)

If your buying 16 oz bottles you may be paying 4-7 bucks a gallon? Drinking a gallon a day of bottled water, do the math.

Shoprite 24 pack of 16 ounce bottles, I believe it's from a spring, either that or filtered very well. $2.99 so $1 per gallon.

From what I understand, you're supposed to change water filters monthly, no?
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    be careful with those cheap plastic bottles, there is some opinion/fact out there that some of the molecular makeup is messing with us humans. My wife mentioned it to me some time ago (I forget the name of the chemical compound), so now I use a Nathan 50oz bottle (I have two).

When I started drinking water last summer (for sports reason), I took on a new angle in life. I"ll hold back how pathetic my water intake habits were before last year.

Once you get used to water being room temp, it's actually easier to chug. I can see 'cold' water when it's hot outside, but normally I am drinking room temp water.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-to-recognize-the-plastics-that-are-hazardous-to-you-461587850
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

Shoprite 24 pack of 16 ounce bottles, I believe it's from a spring, either that or filtered very well. $2.99 so $1 per gallon.

As far as I know the Everpure brand suggests every 300 gallons, no timeline.
    I have it connected to the instant hot, and a separate tap for cold. I like the Everpure with it's quick easy twist on cartridge.

Check the date code, Shoprite had a recall on some brands of bottled water this summer.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

As far as I know the Everpure brand suggests every 300 gallons, no timeline.
    I have it connected to the instant hot, and a separate tap for cold. I like the Everpure with it's quick easy twist on cartridge.

Check the date code, Shoprite had a recall on some brands of bottled water this summer.
    Yeah,
    That was a while ago. I don't think any of ours was in the recall but I think it was for salmonella.
  • ChrisJ
    GW said:

be careful with those cheap plastic bottles, there is some opinion/fact out there that some of the molecular makeup is messing with us humans. My wife mentioned it to me some time ago (I forget the name of the chemical compound), so now I use a Nathan 50oz bottle (I have two).

When I started drinking water last summer (for sports reason), I took on a new angle in life. I"ll hold back how pathetic my water intake habits were before last year.

Once you get used to water being room temp, it's actually easier to chug. I can see 'cold' water when it's hot outside, but normally I am drinking room temp water.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-to-recognize-the-plastics-that-are-hazardous-to-you-461587850

The bottles I have are a number 1.
    Good thing they're kept at 32-34F in my 82 year old fridge as this apparently slows up the alleged seepage.

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2016
    ChrisJ said:

Chris said:

Hi Chris,

I believe when I got sick I was drinking too much water and not getting any electrolytes. Just off the top of my head, I believe I downed something like 192 ounces of water throughout the day and didn't eat anything. By the end I ended up shaking and feeling off so I downed a Gatoraid. Shortly after I started feeling a whole lot better.

I probably should have stopped and ate something as well, but I had something I needed to finish.

I don't know how A\C guys tolerate the heat they do. We had some guys come in and replace the A\C in the attic over my office and it had to be 120-130 in that attic and I have no idea how they were able to work there.

Yes that's what happens you wash the electrolytes out of your system. You were on the verge of full blown heat stroke. You were lucky.nothing to mess with.

• Gordy
    ChrisJ said:

July 2015 I stopped drinking soda after drinking almost nothing but.

However, I found drinking only water made me sick under certain conditions such as working out in the heat. Now I always keep some 100% grape or orange juice on hand. I'll also drink some Gatorade if I'm sweating a lot.

Right now I've got 24 16 ounce bottles of water chilled to 32-34F. Funny thing, once you get used to it, good water tastes better than cola especially when it's ice cold.

How about you? How do you survive in the heat, or the cold for that matter?

Not a huge fan of ice cold water. Never seems to quench my thirst verses warmer water. Matter of fact my uncle lives in Italy normally at establishments beverages are not serve ice cold. They have unified health care there, and studies have proven ice cold beverages cause harm to the digestive system.

I had a golden retriever that would yak if he ate an ice cube, or ate a frosty paw treat. Maybe makes sense.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    You'd be better off replacing the sugar rich juices and those bins on candy with beer.

Gordy
  • Gordy
    Wheat beer gotta get those whole grains in there Harvey.
    CMadatMeZman
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

You'd be better off replacing the sugar rich juices and those bins on candy with beer.

Chris doesn't drink, that's my territory. lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    I used to drink 48ounces of Coke a day, but now just plain water. I put my water in Stainless containers because I also can't stand the taste of the plastic water bottles. I used to get them and then just refill them, but if you fill one up and let it sit for a day or so, you can taste the plastic. Even if you have had them for a few months. Makes me nervous about using them.
    My sister turned me on to the Contigo brand of water bottles a couple of Christmas' ago, and that is all I use. Just squeeze the side and drink. You don't have to unscrew the lid to use them, so it is a lot quicker and safer when trying to drive down the road and get a drink. Water!
    Rick
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    This is an interesting thread guys, I stopped drinking soda a long time ago and switched to seltzer. Over the last year or two, I stopped drinking that as well. Its just water mostly. It's difficult in the winter to drink enough water, so I definitely feel more sluggish. February 1st starting the all water, and tea, no to anything else until summer. Gotta avoid extra calories anywhere I can.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ

As KC said, I don't drink.
    Being in a family with quite a few alcoholics it's a touchy subject with me so I'm just going to leave it alone.

A ice cold Hershey's kiss occasionally won't hurt anyone.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    There are all kinds of studies out there on store bought water in plastic bottles. Supposedly the issue is reusing them and or letting them sit in the sun where leaching can occur. I use a stainless bottle. When you talk about working in attics, try Iraq with uniform, full body armor, and other kit. A Camelback just about needed to be hooked to an IV. Did a lot of training in the Arctic and northern Europe. We had more issues with dehydration in the cold environment than in the desert. In the cold your clothing wicks moisture away and you may not be aware of how much you are sweating. Also melting snow and ice for water was a time consuming task, along with keeping it from freezing one you put it in the canteen. It was always a urine check. Electrolytes were also abig issue in both environments. I tend to drink too much coffee this time of year and not enough water. I can tell when I'm a quart low.
    ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    MikeG said:

There are all kinds of studies out there on store bought water in plastic bottles. Supposedly the issue is reusing them and or letting them sit in the sun where leaching can occur. I use a stainless bottle. When you talk about working in attics, try Iraq with uniform, full body armor, and other kit. A Camelback just about needed to be hooked to an IV. Did a lot of training in the Arctic and northern Europe. We had more issues with dehydration in the cold environment than in the desert. In the cold your clothing wicks moisture away and you may not be aware of how much you are sweating. Also melting snow and ice for water was a time consuming task, along with keeping it from freezing one you put it in the canteen. It was always a urine check. Electrolytes were also abig issue in both environments. I tend to drink too much coffee this time of year and not enough water. I can tell when I'm a quart low.

Good idea on the stainless bottle, I'll be taking one to AHR next week, fill it up at the bottled water dispensers. It cuts down on plastic waste also.

I did get dehydrated one winter, ended up in an InstaCare with an IV of fluids loading in.

I remember lying there shivering under a pile of blankets as the IV bag came out refrigerator :)

Reading the book "rust" that Dan recommended. The biggest challenge with putting beverages in containers is the protective liner they put inside bottles and cans. It needs to be compatiable with the fluid or beverage inside.

The can industry refers to some of the energy drinks as fluorescent battery acid! Very low ph, hard to contain in an aluminum can.
    Beer is an easy one to put in aluminum can, the protein in the beer absorbs the small amount of O2 inside to eliminate spoilage. The plastic layer inside beer cans is mainly to keep the beer from taking on a taste from the aluminum.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    hot rod said:

Good idea on the stainless....

Beer is an easy one to put in aluminum can, the protein in the beer absorbs the small amount of O2 inside to eliminate spoilage. The plastic layer inside beer cans is mainly to keep the beer from taking on a taste from the aluminum.

I combine these 2 and buy my beer in stainless steel containers. ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    BrewbeerCanucker
  • ChrisJ
    Sigh.
    KC_Jones
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Mostly just water, but when the work gets heavy enough or the weather gets hot enough, I spike it with this.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Beer should be in glass bottles period - no cans! That said you still have the caps that have a plastic seat on some.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    Just skip a step and dump the beer right down the toilet.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833

As my mentor W C Fields once said " we lost our corkscrew and had to live off food and water for several days" I prefer gin and tonic. There is a Indian restaurant here that makes it's own Tonic. Very good and it saves me the trip to India.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    edited January 2016
    I'm with Chris... Bodyweight/2 and I mostly hit my water requirements for the night. I have another 500ml a day with BCAA in it to help. And for hot beverages I mix up green tea and coffee with skin milk. We recently moved and are now on a well that gives good water so I've been inclined to drink it more often. (It's been tested, it is good chemically and aesthetically). I dig the thread, it's a nice left field conversation to toss in the mix.
    ChrisJ
  • I drink six home brewed green ice teas a day, the caffeine provides me with steady energy without a crash, to work long hours , a half of a lemon, ginger, cinnamon and cherry juice makes this a lot healthier than the red bull and diet coke I used to drink.
    Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    jonny88Hilly
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I drink four or so iced green tea's a day also. No sugar in them at all. The problem with tea's and coffee is that they are diuretics and will cause you to lose body fluids a lot faster than water.
    Hilly
  • Gordy
    Have any of you had kidney stones?
  • Fred
    Not I, Not yet, fingers crossed!
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    You're not alone, Chris...I don't drink alcohol either. I simply can't tolerate the taste and my stomach can't seem to tolerate digesting it. Probably cost me a job awhile back as I was invited to go out for a drink to discuss the job. I went but ordered water...got a weird look and the guy was chilly from then on. Oh well. It's literally a 'way of life' up here in NW Wisconsin...that and cheese, brats, etc (and those I DO love).

I do still enjoy an intermittent can of Mountain Dew (and when the family goes out for pizza, I have to have a Coca Cola with it...to skip that would be sacrilege to me - haha). I'm a big believer in moderation...anything in excess is bad for you.

But as I get older (I'm 33) I find that I'm becoming a lot more conscious of what I eat and drink, and also that my tastes are changing quite a bit. I find that I can't do regular fast food anymore, but once in a while, maybe once a month that is, I'll treat myself to an authentic gyro with fresh tomato and onions, and homemade tzatziki sauce. 10 years ago I never would've eaten that. I look forward to the night that I know I'll be going there...and now I want one tonight. Dang it.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • Fred
    I don't drink alcohol either. I may have had 2 beers last year while visiting a beer brewing friend. Never, ever even tasted anything stronger than beer in my life (and I'm 67). Not even wine. No particular reason other than personal choice.