Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's going on here?

Options
vinceM
vinceM Member Posts: 81
Good afternoon all.
Can someone explain this set up, please. See pic.

Thank you
Gordy

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Looks to me like an elderly steam vent on the drip from the runout to that radiator. Which, if it is functioning properly, well help get steam to the radiator faster. If it isn't functioning properly, it will either be leaking steam all over the place -- which you may not see, but will show up as increased water use -- or the radiator will be slower to heat than it might otherwise be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vinceM
    Options
    The rad above heats up nicely, which confused me. With the little knowledge I have, it looks like it's set up incorrectly. It looks backwards. A main vent, T'd off a copper return, below the main?? The horizontal, insulated pipe that says, "library rad", is one of 3 mains. I am surprised to see that a main steam line can be vented from below. Doesn't seem possible....
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    As long as it's above the water line in the returns the air can get out. Wouldn't be my first choice, but if it works....
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    vinceM said:

The rad above heats up nicely, which confused me. With the little knowledge I have, it looks like it's set up incorrectly. It looks backwards. A main vent, T'd off a copper return, below the main?? The horizontal, insulated pipe that says, "library rad", is one of 3 mains. I am surprised to see that a main steam line can be vented from below. Doesn't seem possible....

Perhaps it isn't the very best way to vent a main, but it certainly works, and works well, in many applications. As @KC_Jones says, so long as it is above the water line, it's going to happily be venting air, just as if it were above the main. No problem.

After all, the water goes down the pipe, not as a solid stream but in drips and drabs. It won't block the vent in any way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • vinceM
    Options
    Than you all for the information. Much appreciated.
    -On to the next piece of the puzzle....