Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New 0-3# gauge not working

jbmoff
jbmoff Member Posts: 76
Just added a low pressure gauge to my system just off the pigtail and under the pressuretrol. It is a one pipe. Cut in set at .5 and cut out at 1.5. I took off the pigtail and made sure there was no gunk or clogs.
Problem is the gauge is NOT working at all. It will show pressure if you blow into it but shows nothing while the system runs. Any ideas why?
All mains are fully vented and my system runs very well with no hammering and no short cycling.

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Your system could be running on such a low pressure that the gauge doesnt pick that up. Ive run into that situation before many times when im working on 2 pipe systems where there sometimes running at 2-3 ounces of pressure.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • jbmoff
    That's what I was thinking. I thought I'd see some movement but it's pretty "stable"!
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Did you make sure pour some water into the pigtail after reinstalling it and before putting back the pressuretrol?
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • I am with EzzyT, you're probably running on just an ounce or so. Try bumping your thermostat up by 3 or 4 degrees from room temp and give your boiler some work to do. You should see it rise then to your cut-out, assuming that it what you are checking.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • jbmoff
    Well, I'm glad it is running that low. System is purring now and heats well. Previous owners had the system nearly ruined with high pressures, missing steam main vents, and varivalve vents on all the radiators. A few Gorton 2s and some new Gorton 4s and 5s and bringing the pressure down have helped the system heat perfectly. Lost Art and We've got Steam along with a lot of reading here has gotten the system working well.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    A 0 to 3 PSI gauge did absolutely nothing on my system even before I downsized the boiler.

Now a 16" WC (0.5 PSI approx) gauge barely moves.

This is what I ended up doing for my system just so I can see what effects changing vents has.

https://youtu.be/hH36luC9GKU

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • jbmoff
    Are those easily obtainable and "installable"?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited January 2016
    A Magnehelic?
    Sure.

Here's a 0 to 4" WC one on Ebay. 2004 is 4", 2002 is 2" like mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwyer-2004-Magnehelic-Differential-Pressure-Gage-0-4-Inches-of-Water-/281875736590?hash=item41a11a680e:g:QZkAAOSwnH1WYicI

They have a super wide range of pressure ranges available but I highly recommend buying from Ebay because they're a lot cheaper than retail which I think is in the $70-80 neighborhood.

For pressure this low I highly recommend setting up a separate connection to the boiler using a long straight vertical nipple to create an air trap. I used an 18" length of 1/2" black iron for mine and as long as there are no air leaks the steam can never reach the gauges.

Keep your Pressuretrol and 0 to 30 PSI gauge on the proper pigtail siphon. Regardless of typical operating pressure these are safety devices and should never be tampered with.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment