Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rezoned hot water boiler

Options
sharon1
sharon1 Member Posts: 1
My daughter complained that when I had the thermostat turned down in our downstairs she could not get it to heat upstairs as my thermostat controlled hers. Over the summer i had my hot water heat rezoned so that the upstairs has separate thermostats from downstairs. The tech installed 2 new thermostats one for each upstairs room and there are 2 new valves by the boiler. Now that I have turned it on what was a very quiet system with only an occasional tick is extremely noisy. After doing some research I had the tech remove one spring from the valves (which he said he never heard of doing ). The major banging stopped but I am still getting a lot of thunking, ticking and general noise. I am completely puzzled how a heating system so quiet and pleasant has turned into something that is constantly making noise when its on and sometimes disturbs my sleep. Upstairs my daughter says the noise is very slight and occasional.
I have fallen out of love with hot water heat. Can anyone help? Anyone? Anyone?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    It could be air. it could be improper placement of the circulator in relation to the zone valves. It could be that a hanger or two is loose. It could also be that the copper piping is rubbing on the wood when the piping expands.....
    Got some pictures?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Hello Sharon your problem could be due to several reasons. None of which to dislike HW heating, but more so how the installation of the zone valves was accomplished.

Post Some pics of the boiler room area, and the zone valve location.

Was there a differential bypass installed along with the zone valves?

is the circulator installed on the supply side of the boiler, or return?

Where are the zone valves in reference to the circulators outlet? Return side or supply side?

Your issue could be due to several reasons.

A differential bypass allows excessive velocity in the pipes to dissipate due to only one zone being on. Where your pump is sized to all piping freely circulating, and now you are zoning the extra pump energy with one zone closed has to be dealt with.

Your pump may be oversized which before was not noticeable until now that you are zoning, and one zone is maybe only calling at a time.

Zone valves opening, and closing with flow, or against flow. If the valve is closing on the upstream side of flow it has the opportunity to slam shut as it is closing. This in part is lack of a differential bypass.