Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Height of pressuretrol

Hello all just looking for verification that my pressuretrol is ok. I installed a pressure gauge as recommended and used a 3 inch nipple off of the pigtail. Just wondering if I should change it to a close nippe or is it fine as is. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    It's fine. Height of the pressuretrol -- so long as it is above the water line -- doesn't make any difference.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Stangob
    Stangob Member Posts: 26
    Thank you Jamie. It puts my mind at ease. Now I can finalize install without wondering.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Is that installed on a skim tapping?
    I would've used a tee instead of an elbow if that's the case.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Stangob
    No the skim port is on the other side of the boiler. This is a Burnham IN5
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    That looks good but I would have put that 0 - 30 PSI Gauge on a Tee and added a 0 - 3 PSI gauge next to it. The 0-30 is required by code but really doesn't allow you to see what the boiler is doing on a normal heat cycle. A 0-3 PSI gauge is sensitive enough to allow you to make sure your Pressuretrol is functioning like it should.
  • Stangob
    Hi Fred. I have a 0-30psi gauge installed as well but elected not to try and unscrew it. Also I was thinking let the gauge see what the pressuretrol is seeing. I was thinking along the lines of what if the 0-30psi pigtail gets gunked up it would be on a different pigtail than the pressuretrol
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Stangob said:

Hi Fred. I have a 0-30psi gauge installed as well but elected not to try and unscrew it. Also I was thinking let the gauge see what the pressuretrol is seeing. I was thinking along the lines of what if the 0-30psi pigtail gets gunked up it would be on a different pigtail than the pressuretrol

Sorry! My old eyes aren't what they use to be. Upon closer look, I see that is a 0 - 3 PSI gauge you mounted on the pigtail with your Pressuretrol. That is the right way to do it (I was thinking that was your 0 - 30 PSI Gauge)
  • Stangob
    It's ok Fred. The fact that you wanted to make sure everything is ok is why I keep coming back to this site for trusted advice. Thank you