Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

To water or not to water?

vr608
vr608 Member Posts: 144
So, my installer told me very clearly: "Make sure you drain and refill once a month on each side. If you don't, this boiler won't last two years." To be honest, I haven't felt the need. Am I wrong? Do I really need to drain and refill my steam boiler once a month? Based on my research I thought that introduces too much fresh water into the system too frequently?
Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
3PSI gauge

Comments

• vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    Exactly what I thought too. I know the wet return should be free of debris but not at the expense of introducing oxygen. My system runs 24x7 since I have an indirect DWH, I think I'm covered!
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited December 2015
    Every time your boiler goes to zero PSI, it sucks in air (oxygen). If you have mud legs on your boiler, and you don't flush them, your boiler could suffer an early death. The amount of 02 being introduced from flushing isn't much considering it happens every cycle...

EDIT: If the manufacturer calls for it (regular flushings) and you don't do it, it will affect your warranty negatively.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.