Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Broomell Valve overhaul

I have several Broomell valves that I cannot fully close. Any recommendations as to someone who repairs/refurbishes these multi- position valves. I am in the NY are but happy to reach out beyond. Looks like a good spring project at this point in time.

Thank you .

rad3.jpg 229.5K

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Where in NY?
  • JamesBednarz
    JamesBednarz Member Posts: 12
    The radiators are in Tuckahoe . ( Near Yonkers )
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Do you have any that do get fully closed? I was curious if they did achieve 100% shutoff by design.
    Granted, they look like they could use some TLC.
  • JamesBednarz
    My understanding is that the design is 5 positions ; OFF 1/4 , 1/2 , 3/4 and ON . I had only tried to turn off in a few unused rooms ..with no success. I will add more testing to my "to do " list.

• If those few rooms you wish to turn off are a significant percentage of your total radiation (EDR), your boiler may short-cycle, and efficiency will drop.
    I have tried soaking a similar valve in penetrating oil, without any success.
    Mepco makes a metering valve which would approximate the function of this.--NBC
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Have you tried some sort of paint stripper, maybe tsp or tsp substitute on the turning parts? I imagine that should all come off at least to allow you to open them.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • JamesBednarz
    Oh I can assure you that I am quite skilled in removing paint. Getting these valves off the pipe is not an issue. I just want to be prepared for what is going on in the inside. Any one with a successful experience out there?

Thank you .
  • One thing you could do would be to install an orifice plate in between the valve and rad. That would limit the flow of steam into the rad. Someone who has done this may have advice on the hole sizing, or you could try various diameters and see which works best.--NBC
  • BRIANJ
    BRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    If you are still having issues with your valves, give me a call. I have worked on about 40 valves and have had very good results.

Brian Reynolds
    973-303-8306