Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Banging Pipes

I am having issues with loud banging, especially in one bedroom (mine of course). It bangs several times a minute when heating up and then will bang about a half hour after I have turned system down. I have checked to make sure that it is slanted backward so the water drains properly and I have even tried different angles, all to no avail. What can I do to solve this or is there someone in Western Mass that could be recommended to solve these issues.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    GerryK said:

What can I do to solve this or is there someone in Western Mass that could be recommended to solve these issues.

https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited November 2015
    Can you see the pipe that connects the rad to the steam main to be sure it's pitched correctly? If it's on the second floor maybe you can lift the entire radiator a bit to correct a slope problem under the floor. Be gentle when lifting a radiator, don't force anything.

If that doesn't work call Charlie, he will know what to do.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    GerryK
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    But before you call Charles -- not that I want to deprive him of any business! -- you might also see if it is expansion noise. Are the pipes free to expand and contract? Is the radiator free to expand and contract (might try plastic -- milk jug pieces -- shims under the feet).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GerryK
    GerryK Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jamie, I have shimmed it with wood. Is your point of using the milk jug pieces under the wood is that the plastic will slide easier on the floor? Interesting. If that is the point, I might give that a try.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    That is indeed the point of the milk jug pieces... it's worked a treat before!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    GerryK