Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anti corrosion additive

What is a good DIY a to corrosion additive?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    This is a steam system? Is there a reason to add an anticorrosion additive? In most steam systems, if you have no leaks, there is no need for one.

Some people like to add Steammaster, very cautiously, but more for pH control.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited November 2015
    I use Rectorseal Steamaster tablets for their anti-corrosion and ability to prevent mineral build up. The increase in PH is an added benefit. I believe they also help drive dissolved O2 out of water as well.

Use 1 to 2 tablets at most for most home builders. DO NOT follow the instructions when it comes to quantity, it'll never work.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • If you have only very minimal addition of fresh water into your system, I would not worry about corrosion, as it is only the constant addition of water, with its oxygen which will rust out the boiler.
    If there is a leak in the system, then the constant addition of fresh oxygenated water will soon rust out the sections of the boiler, and the wet return piping.
    My preference is for no additives; however some situations with problematic water chemistry will need some treatment.--NBC
  • vr608
    vr608 Member Posts: 144
    All good info above. To the OP, why do you ask? Is your system leaking and/or is there corrosion visible anywhere?
    Peerless 63-03, 118,000 BTU (308 sqft), single-pipe steam system connected to 286 EDR of radiation, 30ft of baseboard and indirect DHW
    3PSI gauge
  • randallkc
    randallkc Member Posts: 38
    New boiler on a 100 year old system