Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what is the properest pressure of vertical steam boiler for Sauna ?

Dear Members ,

Vertical steam boiler are being used for Sauna in up market in our area . The majority of Villas are equipped with this facility to reinvigorate he souls of Villas' owners . the vertical team boiler supplies dry steam to Sauna and it does not have return line or wet steam line to the boiler . I would like to collect information on this type of boiler and how it works and what is the properest steam pressure to supply to Sauna ?

As always , Your support is greatly appreciated ,

I look forward to hearing your valuable lessons ,

Yours Sincerely,

Roohollah

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    Never worked with such an arrangement; saunas are not much in demand in my part of the woods...

However, one thing stands out: you describe this as a consumptive use, not a closed circuit. Any of the normal steam heating boilers will be utterly unsuitable, unless the feed water is very very carefully treated and controlled to avoid corrosion. I can easily imagine an arrangement, however, where you would not be looking at a consumptive use: high temperature, perhaps, from a normal heating arrangement, accompanied by high humidity.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Roohollah
  • I think the solution for your sauna would be a packaged unit, which is basically an insulated wood cabin, with an electric heater inside. Typically, there would be a water line, and tap, to fill a wooden bucket to splash onto stone placed on top of the heating box.
    One can also splash water onto one's companions in the sauna!!
    Don't forget that having a cool lake next to it is especially refreshing!!
    Various companies in Finland will seek the whole thing as a kit, (mountain lake not included).-NBC
    RoohollahZman
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited November 2015
    I believe jacuzzi and Mr Steam make a small electric steam boilers for this application. I'm sure others do as well. Try googling steam showers.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    Roohollah
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    We used to use the poor man's version, when I was in college in Minnesota -- a blazing hot shower, then run outside (at -30 F) with nothing on (hope the girls weren't watching!) and roll in the snow! Felt wonderful.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    vaporvacRoohollah
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The most properest would be the one closest to most righteous.
  • Of course the girls were watching!--NBC
  • Roohollah
    Roohollah Member Posts: 135
    Dear Members ,

Thank you all for the comments and taking the time to help me . There is an alternative which is Electric steam package . It is so expensive and it is used for small Sauna .

With regard to Jamie's comment , I would say that I have seen Carbonate deposits have led many steam boilers to fail with in two years of operation . Steam installers do not pay close attention to chemistry of the make up line to the boilers .

Once more, thanks for the support and I look forward to hearing further attitudes towards the topic ,

Sincerely,

Roohollah
  • Welcome to the wall-we are happy to help you.--NBC
    RoohollahZman
  • Dave_154
    Dave_154 Member Posts: 25
    I've got a Steamist system in my shower. Don't know how old but I've been here 15 years and it still works. Electric (220v). Zero maintenance. If their build quality is still as good as it was 20 years ago.......
    I don't use it regularly but it was a godsend before I got my steam boiler balanced and amazing for mini-me's head colds. :)
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Dear Dave ,

Thanks for your comment . I would like to know whether the steam boiler uses for the room where the steam is replete its atmosphere .

The Sauna in here divides into two types . one type is a room where its walls and floor have been covered by specific woods and it has an Electric heater or a direct gas or oil burner .This type of Sauna is called dry Sauna in here and RH is about 30 % or less and temp reaches 70 degrees Celsius . Second type is the one in which its floor and walls have been covered by tiles and a pipe which is called supply steam sends steam into the room and Electric steam package or vertical steam boiler provides the steam for the room .This type of Sauna is called steam Sauna in here .

I wish to hear from you ,

Sincerely,

Roohollah
  • Of the two types, I prefer the dry sauna with steam made by throwing water on the rocks above the stove.
    Steam saunas I have seen always have some area where the steam is too hot from the discharge nozzle.--NBC
    Roohollah
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I worked on one at a local YMCA. It was an electric steam boiler. I don't remember what pressure the steam operated at it was years ago. But they had to keep spare electric heaters on hand as they were being replaced all the time --they would load up with deposits and short out.

I would suggest removing the electric elements several times a year to clean them
    SWEIRoohollah
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We had some success feeding steam generators with softened water. These particular units were humidifying air in a data center, and the soft water roughly quadrupled the service life of the elements. Can't use DI water because system looks at conductivity to determine water level, slowly building up the minerals from the bottom to the top of the cartridge.
    Roohollah
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    For institutional wet (Turkish) sauna that runs all day every day an indirect fired steam generator pays off. Use softened water and flush regularly. Hear disagreement about if the primary (fired) source should be hot water or steam.
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Dear Mr.Jumper ,

To begin with , thanks for your useful comment . I would like to request you for further information on indirect fired steam generator .

I look forward to hearing from you ,

Sincerely,

Roohollah
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    Probably least expensive is a brazed plate heat exchanger. Just don't foul it. An ordinary heating hot water boiler can operate at high enough temperature to generate 0 psig steam.

>>I would like to request you for further information on indirect fired steam generator . <<

Roohollah
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047

We used to use the poor man's version, when I was in college in Minnesota -- a blazing hot shower, then run outside (at -30 F) with nothing on (hope the girls weren't watching!) and roll in the snow! Felt wonderful.

Or, hope the girls were with you!
    Roohollah
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I built a bunch of wood fired saunas. 12" sch 40 pipe about 30" long with another fish mouthed onto the back, so a 90* assembly. From the vertical pipe a 1" pipe welded in out through the bottom of the fire box to a 1" return bend and back to the riser. Fill the riser with water and put a non pressure lid on it. This would create a thermosiphon and the water would circulate quickly in the firebox. The flue pipe came off the horizontal fire box just ahead of the water pipe inside the rock hopper. Fabricate a hopper to sit on top of the 12" fire box. Facing it, it was a trapezoid to allow more rock to be held. Run the flue outside, build a door for the firebox and fire that puppy up. It would take no time and you had a very dry hot sauna. If you wanted a bit of steam, take a sauce pan and pour the boiling water from the tank onto the rocks and get out of the way. As the water in the tank was boiling it took very little to flash it to steam. These worked really well.
    Roohollah
  • Roohollah
    Dear Members ,

Thank you for the informative comments and the attached link .I have perused them willingly .All the takes on the topic are fully appreciated .

With regard to Jack post , Your recommendation is so brilliant and i would like to make it in here ,but I am in need of your support .In other words , May I request for a quick hand sketch of the system that you stated earlier ?

Once more, Thanks for your time and support ,

Happy thanks giving to you all ,

Sincerely,

Roohollah