Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Loud banging pipes or radiators

Options
How can I solve this problem, my radiators do not have bleeder valves ( cast iron) I changed the air valves ,but no help ,radiators are tilted back towards turn off valve and it's a single pipe system

Comments

• anthony1
    anthony1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Help
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    Everything needs pitched to keep the condensate flowing back to the boiler. The radiator needs pitch to the inlet. The pipe feeding the radiator needs pitch towards the main in the basement. The mains need pitch towards the end (parallel flow) or towards the feed or boiler end (counterflow). Also all pipes need to be straight, if anything is sagging it can cause banging from holding water. Do you have good piping at the boiler? Bad piping can throw excess water into the system and contribute to the problem. I would start by going through all the piping with a level and make sure it's all pitched the correct direction. Post some pictures of the boiler piping and system piping if you need help identifying which type of system as well as which way the pitch should be.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Post some pictures of your boiler, and the piping above it.
    Bad piping and excessive pressure above 1.5 psi. can throw lots of water up into the pipes, which can cause water hammer, especially if there are pitch issues..--NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Also make sure that your "turn off valves" are fully open. If you need to turn off a radiator, do it by closing the vent -- not by closing the valve.

As has been said, pipe pitch is critical. Go through it, every single foot.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England