Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydro therm boiler.........

papa dale
papa dale Member Posts: 1
I need to replace my 40 year old HYDROTHERM BOILER.........QUESTION........WILL THE NEW HYDRO THERM BOILER BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY HOME..........OLD BOILER IS 165BTU INPUT 135OUTPUT..........NEW ONE IS 140,OOO BTU INPUT....ALSO ANOTHER ONE IS 170,000 BTU............WHICH WOULD BE BETTER FOR ME?..........I LIVE IN OHIO........I HAVE HAD GREAT SERVICE ON MY OLD BOILER AND WANT TO BUY SAME BRAND..........THE 140,000 BTU IS THE SAME WIDTH AS MY OLD ONE.........MY HOME IS SMALL APPROX 36 X 40.....ONE FLOOR...........ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.....THANKS PAPA DALE

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    The real answer is, do a room by room heat loss calculation and determine the correct size boiler.
    The quick answer is that you don't need or want anywhere near that big a boiler.
    Does the home have baseboard heat? if so , how many feet?
    It looks like the smallest they make is a 70,000 BTU. That would be more than enough....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Forget the brand, the boiler is only as good as the installer.
    Find a good installer and see what they offer.
    :NYplumber:
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Where exactly in Ohio are you ? As stated previously , you DON"T need a boiler anywhere near that big . If your home had a four square foot hole in the side you may require something that big . The average home of your size in the northeastern region of Ohio might require 30 BTUh per square foot (maybe) but rarely would one require more . A hydro Therm boiler of 70,000 BTUh should be more than enough boiler for your home . Maybe you could contact one of the programs that exist in Ohio through your gas supplier and have a heat loss performed and recommendations made for boiler size and anything else they may want to recommend . These are usually performed for free and then you may decide what if anything you want to do .

http://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program
    Maybe then you can put in a right sized (almost) boiler and literally let less of your hard earned money out the chimney in stack losses .

Let us know how you will continue .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • wholesalerbill
    wholesalerbill Member Posts: 20
    Check out the Burnham Series 2 203NI-T2 62,000BTU input hot water boiler. This size boiler will be fine for a small house. Or a Peerless MI-03 70,000BTU input. Both quality boilers. Made in the U.S.A.
    But like NY Plumber said, "the boiler is only as good as the installer".