Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pure Pro trio primary/secondary necessary?

overpop
overpop Member Posts: 52
I am reading how an additional circulator that recirculates back to the boiler helps the boiler live a happier life. With the Trio boiler is this necessary?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It kind of depends on how the rest of the system is piped. With a cast iron boiler it is usually not necessary.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    But it's a good idea to install the 1/2 bypass. Put a shutoff in with it to control it..
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    tell us more about what the boiler is hooked up to... fin tube baseboard, cast iron rads, radiant floor, panel rads...?
  • overpop
    Half is radiant, (Onyx 1200 ft that I installed) and the other half fin baseboard, garage has a water heat exchanger fan. Not sure what a 1/2 bypass is...I'm not an installer but have the ability, with some help, to install my own system.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited August 2015
    Is the radiant in a slab? Or is it a staple up? If its Onyx make sure to clean the system w/ Rhomar or Fernox and then flush out all the crap. That rubber tubing is known for fouling up systems.... :# Then add a good inhibitor to the water in the system.
  • Zman
    What we are trying to figure out is what minimum flow is. That will determine whether primary/secondary is needed. More info about the zones is needed, especially the radiant. Is it in concrete?
    What size boiler?
    Albert Einstein
  • overpop
    Radiant is staple up, the boiler is the smallest P3 90,000 btu. I am assuming that the return temp has everything to do with it. F W Webb is saying the primary loop is unnecessary with this boiler, but as I am finding out, everyone has their opinion.
  • Zman
    You probably do not need one. How many radiant loops, what size circulator?
    Albert Einstein
  • overpop
    Just got out of the basement after a weeks worth of work, installed the system and I did put a primary loop in. I have 6 two hundred loops on one zone and a 3 speed circulator on the primary and secondary. But there are 3 other zones baseboard and one "Modine" fan in the garage.