Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is why gas scares me so...

Le John
Le John Member Posts: 226

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited August 2015
    Gas should scare you.

It deserves respect just like electricity and those who don't respect it often pay the full price.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Walking across the street scares me , does not mean I'm not gonna do it . There is natural gas in millions of buildings around the world . Maybe you should not fly either because I am almost positive that as safe as that is statistically Natural gas is much safer .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    jonny88njtommy
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    "Hinds, manager of the three-story motel that reopened last fall after an extensive remodel, said a guest reported seeing someone jump out a window and land on or near the gas line just before the leak."

Gas doesn't scare me - people do.
    Rich_49jonny88Bob Bona_4Charlie from wmass
  • ChrisJ
    JStar said:

"Hinds, manager of the three-story motel that reopened last fall after an extensive remodel, said a guest reported seeing someone jump out a window and land on or near the gas line just before the leak."

Gas doesn't scare me - people do.

People is a given.

I forgot to mention, everytime I've seen someone who won't allow gas in their home because they're afraid of it, they still have electricity in their home. Why is this?

What are the statistics in electrical fires vs gas explosions?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    edited August 2015
    I don't disagree with having a healthy respect for gas, but having worked for a utility for 7 years I don't worry about it. If you are scared of gas, you should be completely paralyzed by the terror of having electricity in your house. Electricity causes WAY more fires and other issues than gas does. That being said the reason people have this fear of gas is because when it does go wrong it's really really bad. So you get reports like that, but the news didn't talk about all the electrical fires on the same day as well as all the electrical fires that happen all the other days. Here are some statistics from NFPA:
    During 2007-2011, an average of 13,730 fires per year were reported as having begun with the ignition of natural gas as the type of material first ignited. These fires caused an average of 35 civilian deaths per year, 254 civilian injuries per year, and $303 million in direct property damage per year.

In 2011, an estimated 47,700 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments involved some type of electrical failure or malfunction as a factor contributing to ignition. These fires resulted in 418 civilian deaths, 1,570 civilian injuries, and $1.4 billion in direct property damage.

Electrical wins 3.5 to 1 on number of fires, 12 to 1 on deaths, 6 to 1 on injuries and 4 to 1 in money. That's only fires, how about electrocution as well? I respect them both.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Rich_49Bob Bona_4Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Wait until you see an LP fire :) I saw pictures of the LP fire at a dealer up in Jackson, Hole last year. A friend was working at the supply house nearby and took pictures as they ran. It looked like a river of fire, when it first ignited.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Let's not comment on dryer vents the flexi crap.
  • ChrisJ
    jonny88 said:

Let's not comment on dryer vents the flexi crap.

Speaking of which why do dryers still not have something similar to a spill switch on the vent so if it gets too hot it shuts down?
  • jonny88
    Good ? Maybe it could be a warranty issue or $$$ issue.Was taking to sa local firefighter and he said most fires were related to dryer exhausts.Correct me if I am wrong but i believe NYC has made it code for hard pipie on exhaust
  • ChrisJ
    edited August 2015
    jonny88 said:

Good ? Maybe it could be a warranty issue or $$$ issue.Was taking to sa local firefighter and he said most fires were related to dryer exhausts.Correct me if I am wrong but i believe NYC has made it code for hard pipie on exhaust

Not sure in NYC, but I piped mine hard originally, and then swapped out the 4" pipe for one of those telescoping boxes. I don't have any pipe, just that box direct into a damper so it's not quite as good as it was, but the dryer is further back against the wall which I wanted.

But, I do clean it several times a month. The box doesn't get much in it, but the louvered damper does.

I have to think the flexible crap would be fine as well as long as it's maintained and I still don't see why we don't have safeties on it.
  • Noel Kelly_3
    Noel Kelly_3 Member Posts: 43
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Remarkably consistent, though cooking does seem to be getting more dangerous of late. Hmmm....
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Could be some co-relation to wanna be Iron Chefs with thier 48" plus Vikings or Thermador. Seems all I do is 10" venting in residential!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I guess by these statistics we should keep our gas, but take the kitchen out of the house? I know...outdoor kitchens for everyone! lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    jonny88Bob Bona_44Johnpipe
  • ChrisJ
    Isn't a Thermador something you keep cigars in? :p
    RobGBob Bona_44Johnpipe
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    ChrisJ said:

Isn't a Thermador something you keep cigars in? :p

Haaaa, Ha , Ha! I have a couple Thermadors around the house and a Humidor in the kitchen.
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    So someone jumped out a window, landed on the meter and this broke the gas piping?

What really scares me about gas is seeing CSST and copper tubing outside, (actually anywhere) exposed to the public and seldom supported.

If that was black pipe outside I think the person would have been broken and not the gas line.
  • jonny88
    Agreed CSST is a product I would never use
    Tinman
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Because of their frequent exposure to smoke most fireman have little or no sense of smell. A few decades ago a friend and I were having a drink at my house when he got a call from his business that the lobby had smoke in it and they did not know where it was coming from, they had already called the fire department.

It took us about 15 minutes to get there and the fire department didn't know where it was coming from. As soon as I walked in the door I told the chief it's failing ballast, they emit a distinct odor when they go. It took me about 2 minutes to find the bad ballast and disconnect it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge