Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler selection

j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Early 1900 era home in South Boston, wants existing heating system entirely removed, it's just a maze of pipes carrying heat every way possible,via mostly copper fin baseboard...it's a mess...Existing 30 year old gas boiler on its last leg...The home is vintage and well taken care of...Wants to install runtel type radiant panels in each room, via a heat loss,of course..going with 4 zones,the home is approx,3k sq.feet...Main dining room has in floor old indirect duct, that now has c/I emitters in it, wants to replace with similar..
that's what he wants....What's some of your thoughts on boiler and equipment...The owners like the European style. there will be a couple of micro zones....No in floor radiant, he doesn't want it..Job starting soooon..Thanks guys..

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Personally I like IBC SL160 has some great features.If there is going to be micro zones ask Rich about HTP as you can eliminate the need for buffer tank.Sounds like a nice job.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    My choice would be the Lochinvar Knight WHN with a Lochinvar Squire buffer tank. But as you know, if ten of us answer your question you'll get ten different equipment choices.
    Steve Minnich
    RobG
  • j a_2
    It is a awesome job, my supply house carries viesman and I have appointment with sales guy..told me to look at the newer floor mount with 18 gallon tank. No short cycling to worry about...Thanks I'll keep youz guys up to date...FYI I am just a lowley plumber. Lol
    njtommyRobGCharlie from wmass
  • j a_2
    I know but I will, but your inputs are always welcome
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Well since your only a plumber I would recommend a Navien boiler and Goodman for AC. Lol

Sounds like a good project Panel rads always look really nice.
    j a_2RobG
  • j a_2
    Maybe a bank of Navian 240s that way if one goes south then two go south I have back up...After all we plumbers can't be technology type technicitions cuz we stupid
    njtommyRobG
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    As Kurt always suggest, look at the turndown rate and how it matches up with the smallest zone load, you may not need a buffer tank.
    I like the features on the Lochinvar controls, it allows you to really fine tune the boiler to the job. The ramp delay can really help eliminate short cycles also, just program in the steps and limits. with the Con X Us system you can watch and adjust that from your tablet.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • j a_2
    Very helpful, already learning even @ 63/yrs
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    JA ,

What is the total load of the house at design , how many zones will this be ? Can you explain a bit more about the dining room floor , sounds like a hypocaust system ? will this new system be performing the DHW production also ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • j a_2
    Rich I will follow up as it progresses...Yes wanting to install 70 gallon indirect. Thank u. Sir
  • Rich_49
    70 gallons is kinda big considering how things are done nowadays . How many baths Ja ? Mention storing at 140* and using a mixing valve . Have not seen a home in quite awhile that couldn't be well handled with a 45 - 60 gallon tank .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • j a_2
    Actually correct 60 gallon. I do listen!!!I send you a p m with some details
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    The Viessmann B2HA-19 modulates from 12k to 67k. Nice unit.
  • Rich_49
    HTP UFT 80 . 8k to80k . No P & S required (dependent) on load
    732-751-1560
  • j a_2
    Thank you for the great advise.. Homework tonight.
  • j a_2
    Went with HTP pioneer with attaching indirect s/s....by HTP....Owner wants runtle panels thruout the house....Very happy with selection.....Rich, went to live fire Friday, it was great....Ate 4 hotdogs
    4JohnpipeRich_49
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Can you post a pic I am looking forward to using one.How did you find installation etc.
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    The best way to address short cycling without a buffer tank is the new US boiler Sage 2.2 control and their new zone panel. De-rate the boiler rpm's to match load for heating and hot water independently, increase or decrease the fan PID on display, adjust low fire hold time, reduce light-off rate, differential above setpoint temp, and add the new zone control panel that allows you to program each zone and it limits the boiler input to meet the loss of the zone.
    RobG