Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drop Header

Options
Would you guys pipe a new steam boiler that only has one outlet on top with a drop header? Manuals do not show that as an option but I don't see why not.

Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    You could, I would rather use two risers out of the boiler. You could do both.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited August 2015
    Options
    What size is the Main, on top of the header? What is the total EDR of the radiators? What is the size of the boiler (net Sq. ft. EDR)? For all practical purposes, if the system is small enough that it only has a single 2" or 2 1/2" main AND some knucklehead didn't tee another main off of that single main on top of the header (somewhere a few feet from the header), you're not going to get much added value from a drop header or two risers out of the boiler. Of course you can do it but not much value.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I would argue that it would be even more necessary if only one boiler riser is available.
    Hap_Hazzard
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    This is a drawing an older member Rod drew to give an example of what a drop header does besides looking cool and being easier to pipe.

The theory is a drop header allows water to fall out of the steam better and stay out of it. It doesn't cost much more to. I'd also use two risers if the boiler allows it and if the boiler doesn't I'd buy one that did. Of course, if you already have it, it is what it is.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    LionA29