Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My latest install

Aaron_in_Maine
Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
This my latest install. And the old steel it replaced.
Aaron Hamilton Heating
ahheating@ yahoo.com
(207)229-7717
Tinmanjonny88Harvey Ramer

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Actually I will the guys wife runs a little in home day care so they keep track of fuel usage. I will have numbers next summer. I am curious as well I used the hydro level outdoor reset and wired the circulator to that instead of the ZVC. I want to see if holding off the pump until 120 degrees makes a difference in how clean the boiler is.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    I'd say 30-40 % reduction in oil consumption.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    More like it with that combo, fire it at 85% of max and see what the stack temp is!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Bet it's higher,most widely spaced pins and sections of any oil boiler. Easy to service and uses fuel, an oil man's dream :)
  • Robert O'Brien
    edited July 2015

I like widely spaced pins................ ;)

And who doesn't? :)
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Looks like a nice install Aaron. This is no offense against your workmanship but one the things that pisses me off with Pro-Press is that if you don't have a way of holding the pipes in place during pressing you can't keep them plumb and level.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Yeah the pro press tweak gets my OCD going every once and a while. I switched back to tees instead of premade welded headers because there is always that one branch that was just a little off.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    RobG
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    RobG said:

Looks like a nice install Aaron. This is no offense against your workmanship but one the things that pisses me off with Pro-Press is that if you don't have a way of holding the pipes in place during pressing you can't keep them plumb and level.

Megapress is even worse for deflection. Whenever possible, I strap the pipes in place before pressing.
    Rich_49Zman
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    Simply elegant!!!
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Looks great Aaron. Anything is an improvement over that Trianco that was in there. I still like to solder just for that reason, but we have had long posts on that subject. Excellent job
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    edited July 2015
    Looks good nice and simple.

I do have a question though isn't it better to run a separate pump for the DHW then through a zone valve?
  • Robert O'Brien
    With priority,what's the difference?
  • Marz
    Marz Member Posts: 90
    Looks great Aaron! Down here in MA we're hiring installers/technicians with experience. Would be nice to have you! Is there an outdoor module connected to the hydrostat?
  • njtommy
    There isn't, aslong as the flow rates are correct. I think I remember reading Taco not recommending them for use with Indirect storage.I tryed looking it up this morning and couldn't find it.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Marz, yes I used the hydrostat out door reset tied right into the aquastat. Njtommy, I have the indirect set on priority I have done a few of these setups and they work well. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wanting a pump for the indirect. The heat flo indirect is piped in 1 inch on the heat side. The 3 section boiler ran one cycle to heat the indirect from stone cold and then shut off just as the indirect was satisfied. My supplier shakes his head every time I order saying I should use a 4 section because of the indirect. He only keeps one 3 section in stock for me everybody else buys a 4 section for this setup. I always say I have not had a problem. I set the indirect to priority, set the temp to 140, put a mixing valve on the tank and mix to 120.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    Robert O'Briennjtommy
  • Robert O'Brien
    Zone Sentry ZV's add the equivalent restriction of 8' of straight pipe. Nothing even worth discussing. No one thinks twice about a conventional gas HWH with an input of 40K but a 65K boiler/indirect combo won't produce?
    njtommyAaron_in_MaineZman
  • njtommy
    null
    Nope no you can't.
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    We use zone valves all the time for indirect as long as the system pump can provide the proper flow. i usually use 1" ZV for that zone.
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
    njtommy
  • njtommy
    I've seen it a hundred times. Maybe this is why I was thinking it. I don't know, but I always run my tanks up in the 140s and mix down any way.