Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mini Tube with Indirect HW

Options
SteamCoffee
SteamCoffee Member Posts: 123
Looking at a Mini Tube to cast iron radiation install...thinking about indirect water heating as well. Anything in particular to consider? I have 1400 SF 1920's condo that was hot water heat, I figured about 35000 Btu, but have a 4 member household looking at a DHW needs as well. Gerry Gills setup with the zone for a hot water zone looks like an easy conversion to DHW instead. Seems like a dream setup, but has this situation been addressed? How much btu load should be figured in? Any opinions would be great! It this in Strictly Steam as folks are a bit more aware of
Iron Fireman/mini tube issues here!

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    Actually the heat exchanger for my system that heats the hot water is really an 'Everhot' water heater. The manufacturer of the water heater can tell you how many btu's you would need for their unit based on how many gpm you want out of it.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• SteamCoffee
    SteamCoffee Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi Gerry, thanks for the post. My current gas water heater is about 50k BTU, I noticed your IN3 was lower and I understand you were undergirding that. The IN3 is perfect for me before the DHW was figured in, given that, would the IN4 be more appropriate? Seems the intergrated boiler/indirect DHW is getting a fair share of attention on other sites. Crazy that my DHW needs are higher that that for a minitube with cast iron rads! Btw any gas usage numbers from your heating season? Thanks!