Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

panel rads vs curtains

hws
hws Member Posts: 43
Hello all,
Looking for some opinions here. I just installed Stelrad panel radiators throughout my house. My wife raised the concern that with our long curtains touching the rads, burning or melting of curtain fabric may result. I'm not sure on the issue myself, haven't run into it on previous jobs (had to be my own house, right?). Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I wouldn't worry about it, One of the ways to temper down a steam or hot water radiator is to put a blanket over it. If your wife is worried, have her bust out the sewing machine and do some hemming.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    That is a left over old wives tale relating to electric baseboard heat...... not a concern at all.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    The panel radiators do need to have air circulation across them, be sure the curtains don't block the convection current across the panel.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I might also opt for natural fibres on the drapes with a higher melting temp.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    I've had curtains touch my steam radiators.
    No issues.

I wouldn't even give it a thought with hot water. But as has been said, don't let the curtains stop the draft. It won't hurt the curtains, but it may hurt your wallet and or comfort.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment