Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dwyer Slacktube lost water?

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
I'm really confused right now.
I bought a 16" (8 + 8) Dwyer slacktube back in January and filled it with the proper amount of distilled water and green dye. After using it I closed the two valves on the tube and put it away in it's case until this week. Somehow, it's lost several inches of water and yet I see absolutely no evidence of leakage. The case and papers are spotless as is the tube it self.

How can water evaporate from a sealed plastic and rubber tube?!!?!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• ChrisJ
    Options

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Fill it back up and see if it happens again? *shrug*
  • ChrisJ
    Options

I'm not familiar with that product, however it appears that a slight expansion of the plastic and/or rubber tube due to temperature would increase the volume of the system and create the illusion of lost fluid.

The basement is a good 30 degrees warmer now, but wouldn't the water also expand?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    "but wouldn't the water also expand?" Probably, but what is the likelihood that they expand and contract at the same rate?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Put it in the refrigerator for a couple hours and see how much change occurs.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    That's a good idea.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    the scale slid when you rolled it up .
    bob
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    bob said:

the scale slid when you rolled it up .

I had thought about that, but where the water is now I'd need the scale more than all the way down and when I filled it I had it about where it is now, centered.
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    guess ; maybe the two chambers with the cork floats in them contain the missing fluid . sometimes those floats stick up after storage and might trap fluid in the chambers . try blowing into each leg .
    bob
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Don't those Dwyer boxes come with a bit of foam at the bottom? Could have been lost in there and evaporated.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JStar said:

Don't those Dwyer boxes come with a bit of foam at the bottom? Could have been lost in there and evaporated.

Yep, but the foam is clean, no signs of water staining or more so the green dye.

I'm going to check out the cork floats as bob recommended, but when I was looking at it I did blow air through it.