Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Camera for job pics

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
These last few years I've been using my iPhone for job pics and, for the most part, does the job. But when trying to get the entire boiler room in one frame, it's not very useful. In the past, I've used everything from Polaroids to inexpensive digital cameras. I still have an old Canon AE-1 around here somewhere but that would be more trouble than its worth.

I'd like something that's rugged, able to take wide angle and zoom shots, blue tooth, and not a ton of money?

Any suggestions?

I take pictures of every job I look at it. I also take a lot of notes. The pictures fill in the blanks left in my notes. : )
Steve Minnich

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Haven't looked in a couple of years, but anything wider than a 28mm (in 35mm equivalent focal lengths) is quite rare for a fixed lens digicam. There have been a handful with 24mm equivalents over the years, but they seem to come and go.
    Tinman
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Not sure if this is what you need, but my current I-phone 5 has panoramic on it, along with video. Both can be very helpful.
    P.s. I don't know about others, but I use my I-phone camera almost every day not just for keeping track of job photos, but taking pictures in wall cavities, around hidden pipes, and serial numbers. Sure is nice when you have a serial number on the side of the unit with no clearance, and the numbers are small. Shoot the picture, then blow it up to read it. Helpful with my old eyes.
    Rick
    4Johnpipe
  • SWEI
    edited July 2015
    I have also been using the phone camera to read serial numbers. Better than reading glasses.

Just recently started keeping a copy (reduced size JPEG) in the job folder. Comes in handy when you need warranty support.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    @Rick - I didn't even know iPhone had that option. I'll have to check that out. Thanks. My eyes are terrible. I wear contact lenses and have to use cheaters on top of that.
    Steve Minnich
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    My Nikon has a panarama setting, and it came with panarama assist software. Really slick.....Just start shooting while you step across what you want in the picture. The program stitches it together seamlessly.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    My I-pad takes a nice picture. You should be able to find panoramic apps for them also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I use a Nikon D750 with 24-70mm/2.8 lens

Works pretty good...
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Tinman4Johnpipe
  • Paul48
    edited July 2015
    This was stitched from about 6 photos. Nikon has some Coolpix models that are not expensive. They're wi-fi, and have all the features you could possibly need. I don't know if it would pass a "bounce-test" though. :smile:
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Paul48 said:

This was stitched from about 6 photos. Nikon has some Coolpix models that are not expensive. They're wi-fi, and have all the features you could possibly need. I don't know if it would pass a "bounce-test" though. :smile:

Cool, it looks pretty seamless. How does it work?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    For someone bringing a camera on the job my first thought is something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-WG-3-black-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B00B728M5U

An expensive DSLR would make me nervous as would any camera above $500 in those conditions.

That one is $210 if you can deal with purple. ;)

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Paul48
    Rob...The camera has panorama assist and comes with software. You literally just click away as you pan across whatever you're shooting. I suppose you could shoot a 3-wall install.
    RobG
  • SWEI
    Those WG series cameras are awesome for closeups. I know a forensic engineer who swears by them. The low-light focusing issue does make me pause, however.