Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new refrigeratiopn press fittings

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
Hello all I am curious on what you guys think of the new refrigeration press fittings? It seems abco is the only one that is going to have them, Johnstone didn't say they where going to carry them yet. Should I wait for rigid and viega to partner up with these fittings.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    We might try them soon. Just waiting for a job with 100% open access to the piping in case the fittings do leak.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    Just based on the fact it probably has rubber gaskets I don't like it. Is that even considered hermetically sealed?

I have silver soldered connections that even after 82 years are still good.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Chris, if you silver soldered fittings 82 years ago you must be about 100! ;)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    RobG said:

Chris, if you silver soldered fittings 82 years ago you must be about 100! ;)

I own one 1933 and two 1934 GE Monitor tops. None of them had failed solder joints.

I'm 34. ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,847
    Options
    In the 30's they weren't about Torch permits, Fire Guards, Labor and Insurance rates.

Like it or not it's coming and it's here to stay!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Not me, too old to change. Time to go into the leak detection business. They also have plastic pex type stuff coming out for the vrf systems not plenum rated yet.

When the plastic melts and the phosgene gas kills a few people in a fire they will go back to the old way.