Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help needed with buzzing relay

Options
bythecshore
bythecshore Member Posts: 6
I just bought a new house (well, new for me) and there's a relay that buzzes occasionally and I'd like to know if it's an indication that it's about to fail, or is it just vibration? When I press against it with my finger it stops, leading me to the vibration theory. But I really don't know much about these things.

It's a Honeywell R8222D switching relay.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    The installers budget didn't include a more expensive relay. Nor did it include a couple of faucet washers under the sheet metal screws holding the relay down to the sound transmitting surface.

Go see Ace at the hardware store and get a pack of flat faucet washers. Put them under the relay, with the sheet metal screws through them. It will isolate the sound.

Another shade tree resolution from the shade tree guys. If it doesn't quiet down, get another relay. Make sure it is the same. They're considered cheap.
  • bythecshore
    bythecshore Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks icesailor, I'll try the washers first.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    check the wiring connections also. Sometimes those crimp terminals get loose on that solid type T-stat wire.

With all power off, feel to see if any connections are warm, which may indicate loose or bad connection.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream