Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nat Grid service crew

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Many times they get abuse but today I went into a customers house to fix a leak.I smelt gas immediatly .I told owner and they said they always get that funky smell from time to time.I looked for leak and it was before service valve going to regulator.All inside basement.I called Nat Grid at 4.30 .At 4.45 tech came.He could not close valve on street as it was angled.He called for backup crew and they came 30 minutes later.They managed to close valve without having to break up side walk.They went inside fixed leak.6 o clock everything done and homeowner could go out for bday.I never saw a crew from the utility company show as much professionalism as these guys so a thumps up today.
SWEI

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Stories like this make everyone feel good. Did you tell that to the managers at National Grid as well?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    With all the recent explosions they usually show up quickly especially for a leak. They will probably want to get the meter out of the basement if it is a possibility.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    They charge customer 1k to relocate meter to outside.I will make a call on Monday morning to Grid.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    jonny88 said:

They charge customer 1k to relocate meter to outside.I will make a call on Monday morning to Grid.

Our gas company is in the process of moving all meters to the outside of the house. No charge to the customer. They are probably about 25% done in the city. Unlike the water company, who only takes ownership of the pipe to the curb, the gas company, here, owns the pipe up to and including the meter, no matter where that is. I hate the looks of the meter on the outside but it is what it is. They will have to work with me to make mine as inconspicuous as possible. My turn is coming soon.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I am surprised they would charge to relocate the meter outside. It is so much safer. Many times somebody wacks a gas pipe and cause a leak. The leaking gas follows the outside of the pipe into the basement. Putting the meter outside reduces the risk of this.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I had NG in last fall because of a gas pressure issue and they had to replace the old feed from the meter to the main under the road. They had one crew digging to the main while the other handled the meter and the piping in the house. When that was done the relit everything and tested the pressure under load to verify good pressure levels. That night at about 8:30 a truck showed up to patch the hole in the street with blacktop.

I had no leak to deal with but they came in and handled the job quickly and professionally. The meter is still inside the basement as are almost all of them in this area.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Our gas company upgraded the main, 6 months after they repaved my road. At the same time they moved all the meters out of the basements. The roads here are slightly better than dirt roads. The constant cutting into the asphalt surface has created potholes everywhere.