Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Your opinion on boiler service book subjects

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,461
edited April 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Howdy All,
I am in the process of writing a new book on boiler and burner service and need your input. The book will cover both residential and commercial low pressure steam and hydronic. It will be on natural gas as I am a dummy on fuel oil. It is up to almost 300 pages already. I want to make sure I cover all the important subjects. Are there any little tricks of the trade you use or common issues you think should be covered? I love that we can learn something about the industry every day. Please let me know. Thank you in advance.
Ray Wohlfarth
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Downsizing? After windows were replaced and better insulation was installed.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Thanks Jumper good point
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I really doubt you missed anything in your books.
    A good thing to check is water quality. I see more components ruined by poor water quality than anything else.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Lack of boiler mass in low load homes with high efficiency equipment . Maybe also that everyone should stick that second , too often left indoors , air intake outside .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I'll second Harvey's water quality suggestion. That has become a big issue these days with the movement towards "paper thin" heat exchangers, tanks, heat emitters, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Go over identifying mono flow systems and tee's .
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    My definition of service includes some basic system evaluation. Was it properly designed and installed? Did some knucklehead "fix" it between then and now? Can I improve its operation or safety -- at a price the owner will pay? Is this thing worth fixing, or is it really time for a replacement?

A boiler bypass valve represents a boiler protection or mixing valve sales opportunity.

I continue to be amazed at the number of cast iron PRV's we see in autofeeders, and often a previously failed one nearby.
  • bricksea
    bricksea Member Posts: 13
    Not sure if this counts but I installed a tempering valve on an Nti trin and stor Idwh. It had a port that said recirculation inlet that I connected the recirc line to. When I turned it on the tempering valve made an irritating noise that would go away when the water taps were opened or the circ turned off. I was convinced that I had a defective unit so I called the supply house I bought it from and explained the issue. The first thing the salesman asked me was if I read the instructions. Well... , No I'm pretty sure I looked at it, saw hot, cold, mix and threw the instructions into the recycle pile with the 15 other boxes from circulators, t-stats, autofills and all the other stuff from the install. So I dug the instructions out and sure enough they had a diagram specifically for my setup. So back to the supply house I went. After waiting what seemed like 500 years to drain the tank enough to be able to reroute the connection I added a new t and check valve as well as a plug to cap the inlet I was back in business. So maybe after this long convoluted explanation you should put in something about reading instructions.
    Tinman
  • RayWohlfarth
    Wow, Thanks for the responses. There are lots of great ideas. I appreciate the courtesy.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons