Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

copper or pex

j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
Hi I must really have to much time on my hands. But I was thinking this...When I drink a cold beverage I feel.it tastes much better out of the glass bottle than a plastic bottle. I for some reason think tap water is better out of copper than Pex or cpvc... Anyway that's just me

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I think it is better out of glass also and any beverage out of a can is the worst, I think.
    BTW, Have much, Much fun with your new Grandson! My granddaughter got married this past weekend. It's amazing to watch them grow and spoiling them and then sending them on their merry way back to their parents suffering from a sugar high. Oh the memories (and lectures) It's our way of getting even. :)
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited April 2015
    Some people have better taste sensors than others. Especially if you don't smoke. Licking ashtrays is not conducive to better taste sensations.

I drink a lot of bottled water. I can tell the difference in brands. I find that Poland Springs bottled water is the best around. The only place that sells it in Florida is BJ's. The most popular bottled water in Florida is Zephyrhills. It taste like toilet tank water. My wife hates water. She decided to give up her Diet Pepsi. She tried all kinds or replacements. She finally settled on my Poland Springs. She says that she can taste the difference.

For a real comparison. freeze water in an ice tray in your freezer, and get a bag of ice from the Supermarket or liquor store. Put equal amounts of ice (tray and bagged) in 12 oz. glasses and put in your favorite bottled water. Drink a sample right away from each. They will probably taste similar with the supermarket bagged ice tasting slightly better. Then, after 5 minutes and the ice has had a chance to melt, sample both again. The water in the glass with ice cube freezer water will probably make you want to puke.

If you have municipal water, and you can smell chlorine when you boil water to make eggs, imagine what it does to the taste of the eggs. Or rice or Potato's.

If the water has a lower PH and is acidic, and is piped with copper, in the morning, after the acid has had time to break down the copper, the water might gag you at first. It will make your coffee or tea taste terrible. Use filtered water or bottled water. You will be amazed at the difference in quality.
  • j a_2
    Fred congrats... And thank you First thing I got him was a classic pipe wrench...he's my little buddy
    Charlie from wmass
  • j a_2
    Ice nice your back,you sir are a classic... In a good sense
    jonny88
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    j a said:

Fred congrats... And thank you First thing I got him was a classic pipe wrench...he's my little buddy

Mine found a 20 oz, straight claw framing hammer and started pounding nails as soon as he could crawl. I found a block of Styrofoam so he pounded nails in it. Whenever he tried wood, he was always nailing his finger. When he nailed into the Styrofoam, success.

I always used a lot of 6d and 10d nails for toe nailing and blocking. I was always running out those nails and having to buy more. One day, I went to move the Styrofoam block. I found all my missing nails. Develops good eye-hand coordination.

SWEI
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    ja , don't forget plenty of noisy toys . Put them in a bag and give them to him when he leaves . His parents will love you for it . LMFAO .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    icesailor said:

I find that Poland Springs bottled water is the best around. The only place that sells it in Florida is BJ's. The most popular bottled water in Florida is Zephyrhills. It taste like toilet tank water.

Ice, why on earth do you know what toilet tank water tastes like? ;)
    kcopp
  • j a_2
    One should never drink from the oval bowl. Lol
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Years ago at a trade show,a pex manufacturer was giving out soda/water with straw of your choice,plastic or copper.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    SWEIjonny88
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    I often wondered wether using a dechlorinator like activated carbon on their home with PEX piping would promote a bio film layer inside the system. Anyone ever see this?
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    I saw a salesman 15 years ago promoting ozone injection systems to remove iron thru oxidation and then filter it out rather than using salt to soften water. No filter will remove hardness from water. This ozone injector turned the city water brown by oxidizing it then filtering out the oxidized iron. What a difference. I heard California does this.