Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Circulatory and combo unit

Xmytruck
Xmytruck Member Posts: 85
edited April 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Question for the group my circulatory is hooked up to an aquastat and it turns my combo unit on for a minute every 15 minutes . So 96 times a day and we only use hot water on the second flour maybe 5 five times. Having the system run so often can it cause damage the combo unit? My last combo died after three years a cracked HX.
Thx

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Two words......Motion Detector
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Or some kind of demand signal. Is this a 24V or 120VAC aquastat? No timer, just the aquastat?
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 480
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • Xmytruck
    It is a 120v aquastat. I shutdown the valve and turned off the motor for now any comments or concerns that this could do damage to the combo unit?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    There is a good reason that there is a timer. It is to make sure that there is no stale water in the system that could lead to having bacteria and legionnella!
  • Xmytruck
    Henry said:

There is a good reason that there is a timer. It is to make sure that there is no stale water in the system that could lead to having bacteria and legionnella!

hello
    I am confused are you stating I should have not shut down the pump and the return value to the circulatory pump?
  • Xmytruck
    edited April 2015
    To clear my question having a circulatory pump turn on my combo unit 100 times a day will it shorten the life of the unit? Or is it built to handle this demand of hot water?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    The unit is designed to do this. They used to have one 15 minutes cycle per day, 20 years ago. One minute of a pump running cycle will not harm your system. It will prevent you any anyone else in the house from getting very sick!
  • Xmytruck
    edited April 2015
    Henry said:

The unit is designed to do this. They used to have one 15 minutes cycle per day, 20 years ago. One minute of a pump running cycle will not harm your system. It will prevent you any anyone else in the house from getting very sick!

Sorry for so many questions, if I shut off the return and the pump and we use the water every day would that not prevent someone getting sick?

I think you might have misunderstood it is running 100 times a day and each time it runs for a minute. So it is running an additional 100 minutes a day.