Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving the location of the Main Vent to first floor???

This might be a funny question.... but it can't hurt to ask. I bought an old home with one pipe steam heat on Feb 5th. It's now march 9th and the oil tank (275 gal) has gone from about 1/2 to less than 1/8th. I have the thermostat set to just 55 degrees all day/night just to prevent anything from freezing.

Upon doing some research as to why It was so inefficient, I noticed that the main vent was not working properly, and was just letting out a crazy amount of steam into the basement when the boiler is running. I immediately did some research and ordered a Gorton #2.

My question is, do I need to place the #2 at the location of the current main vent? I read that having the vent right on that elbow is a very bad location, as it can get clogged with water. I can probably get a 4" or so nipple under the gorton, to give it some height. The existing vent is just at the bottom of the 2x8 joist.

Furthermore, in the photo, to the right of the vent, there's a pipe rising up, and through the first floor. On the first floor, I am guessing there WAS a radiator in that location (living room , but the living room already has a pretty large radiator there). Right now, there is just a vertical pipe stubbing out of the floor ~3-4" with a cap on it. Can I remove the cap and put the gorton there? Does that make any sense? Or would it be at a risk of being kicked/damaged, etc.

I'm totally new to steam heat, and am just trying to learn as much as I can (while fixing every single other thing wrong with this house!) Please don't beat me up- I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If you don't have much height to work with you could add a 90° elbow in the location of the current vent and then put a horizontal (with some pitch back to main) pipe in place to move the vent away from the end of the main some. Any distance you can add helps keep the vent from getting "beat up". Basically do something similar to what you propose with the other pipe, but keep it all in the basement. Also are you sure you only need one vent? How long and what size are your mains? The rule of thumb is 1 Gorton #2 for ever 20' of 2" pipe. The vent you have there looks like a radiator vent with an 1/8" tapping, but hard to tell for sure. If that is the case you will also want to remove that bushing from the top of the tee before doing anything. If you want the vent in your living room, functionally I don't see how it could hurt, but as you said it's at risk for kicking and damage.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mookie3333
    mookie3333 Member Posts: 83
    Thanks for the quick reply. I agree, I think I'll keep everything in the basement. Regarding adding an elbow and horizontal , I have a few questions:

1. how far should I go with the horizontal?
    2. Is 1/4"/foot good slope?
    3. Can I mount the #2 horizontally, or must it go vertically?
    4. Assuming 1 #2 for every 20' of pipe, Can I put additional #2's on the horizontal piece that I'm adding? or does it need to be spaced out over the 20' run of pipe?

The house is only ~22x28, 2 floors, so there may not be that much main length, but I will double check.

Thanks again!
  • mookie3333
    Think I just answered #4 by poking around some more - I saw in the article "balancing one-pipe systems" an image of multiple valves on the same steam. Thanks.
  • KC_Jones
    Yes if needed mount multiple on same tapping. If you do this tapping must be large enough. 1/2" can support 2 vents if I remember correctly. Slope is whatever you can get, but generally in that situation aroun 1" in 10' is plenty. It really doesn't need to be that much. The vent MUST always be mounted vertically.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mookie3333
    Perfect. I have a good idea of what to do now. The only problem I should encounter is in removing that rusted bushing. Plenty WD-40 and wire brushing, I am guessing. Thanks!
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Actually it looks like that vent may be a 1/2" base. (Although it's hard to tell from a picture). If it is already 1/2" you don't need to remove the bushing, just the old vent and add your 1/2" nipple (antler if more than one vent is needed).
    KC_Jones
  • KC_Jones
    Definitely verify the thread size first.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mookie3333
    NOW I know what antler means!!! I kept seeing it on this board and was like what the hell?? antler??

Pipe sizing is not a problem at all, I'll figure it out. I'm replumbing the entire house, new supply, new drain, moving gas pipes- so getting 1/2" at that tee is the least of my worries!