Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumber Recommendation

Jimbo_5
Jimbo_5 Member Posts: 218
Wife's condo froze-up after boiler crapped out. Condo is in Sea Side Heights, NJ. It's a small 2 floor unit. Boiler is a Weil McLain, gas fired, 97+70, just 2 years old. Looking for a reliable plumber who services that area and who is familiar with that particular boiler. I'm not sure the installer was, since it has been a problem since it was installed. When it first locked out, a few months after installation, he claimed it needed new purge valves, so he installed them for a few hundred dollars. It seemed odd to me, for if they were bad how did he purge it after installing it? Or why not replace them while doing the install? Then the beginning of this season, it locked out again, LWCO shut it down. After lifting the pressure relief valve a few times, hearing air surge out, it finally started again. Hoping to get this meds squared away once and for all. Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Try the find a contractor button here. there should be someone for your area. See if you can read his old posts, so you have an idea about his general demeanor.--NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    You do NOT need a plumber. You need someone who does heating. If this is steam, a good steam guy. If hydronic, a good hydronics man. I have an idea that Joe Staroliec (sp?) of Thatcher Heating may service that area; look under find a contractor for New Jersey. He's one of the very best around, for either steam or hydronic.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    sludgeRobG
  • Jimbo_5
    Thanks, she has me going crazy with this mess. I went down and shut off the water main, shut off the boiler, even though it was empty with absolutely no psi, the circulator was still sloshing around the water caught inside the boiler. I thought that was odd, figured the LWCO would turn it off completely. And I put to electric heaters inside to keep it somewhat warm.
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    That's just a little out of my range since I'm in linden, but I think rich is in that area.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    I cover your area. Call or email any time.

732-494-4357
    info@thatcherhvac.com
    KC_JonesRobGEdubs
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    sludge said:

either the LWC is bad OR you have a leak somewhere you can't see and the feed valve can't keep up.

All that and the boiler might have been piped improperly with the boiler return not piped to above the boiler when it is returning water from piping below the top of the boiler. A very bad thing.

If that is the case, and the LWC didn't work, the boiler has the potential of being a Mexican Sandwich. Toastado.
  • Jimbo_5
    Called several heating/cooling, HVAC, and plumbing shops in the county today, and amazed me to discover just how many "don't really deal with that boiler," the Weil McLain 97 + 70. At least they were honest enough to say that, rather than just try to work on it blindly.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Jimbo said:

Called several heating/cooling, HVAC, and plumbing shops in the county today, and amazed me to discover just how many "don't really deal with that boiler," the Weil McLain 97 + 70. At least they were honest enough to say that, rather than just try to work on it blindly.

Call Jstar, he said he covers your area. You won't be disappointed.
  • Jamie Hall
    Don't mess with them. Just call Joe at Thatcher Heating (732-494-4357) and get it done right...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    RobG
  • Jimbo_5
    Hate to say this, but I did call Joe at the # he stated, and I left him a message this morning, mentioning my post here and his reply to call him. I also sent him an email at his email address. I haven't heard from him, so I suspect he is either busy or away. So I hit the Yellow Pages. But thanks for suggesting him, anyway.
  • Jamie Hall
    Give him a chance. When you're good, and the weather's bad, you're a busy man.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Jimbo_5
    That's what I said, he's probably busy or away. But the wifey is here and climbing up my back, so I had to put a show on and make a few calls. Yet it was truly surprising just how many professionals do not deal with these new boilers. And in the wife's defense, she is frantic. After all, this boiler is barely 2 years old, the laminate flooring is brand new, and her nerves are shot worrying just how bad this really is.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801

You do NOT need a plumber. You need someone who does heating. If this is steam, a good steam guy. If hydronic, a good hydronics man. I have an idea that Joe Staroliec (sp?) of Thatcher Heating may service that area; look under find a contractor for New Jersey. He's one of the very best around, for either steam or hydronic.

Here we go again….For what reason do you say he does not need a plumber…..
    Steve_210
  • Jamie Hall
    j a -- first place, climb down. You are not the sort of plumber to whom I was referring! Second place I think it is wise for all of us -- in whatever field we work -- to recognise that some folks are experts in some things, and some are experts in others. I think most of us on the Wall do recognise that.

Homeowners, however, often do not -- and if it is a pipe, they think that any plumber will do. This is not always the case. I have, for example, among my friends and tradespeople in this area, an excellent steam man. He's a good plumber, too. I also have a superb plumber. He's a fair hydronics guy but, being honest and busy would rather not have to design the things -- and doesn't want to play with steam at all. And so on.

I was merely suggesting that perhaps the OP would be best advised to get a man who was a real heating expert in on the job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    icesailorRobG
  • icesailor
    Obstetricians/ Gynecologist and Proctologist/Urologists are both licensed medical doctors. You don't go to a OB/GYN if you can't pee, unless you might be having a baby.
  • j a_2
    I guess I just see things differently...a mechanic is a mechanic...I as well a plumber. Was an aircraft mech. Working for major airlines...on any shift we did multiple tasks. Cleared blocked toilets...tuned and certified autoland systems replaced hydraulic pumps. Ect ect...we were lic. From school/or military...as I was....u episided NOT a plumber....that was and is my issue....I have for years advertised on this site as a plumber. Under the steam section.... So for you to sayNOT a plumber is not correct
  • icesailor
    j a said:

I guess I just see things differently...a mechanic is a mechanic...I as well a plumber. Was an aircraft mech. Working for major airlines...on any shift we did multiple tasks. Cleared blocked toilets...tuned and certified autoland systems replaced hydraulic pumps. Ect ect...we were lic. From school/or military...as I was....u episided NOT a plumber....that was and is my issue....I have for years advertised on this site as a plumber. Under the steam section.... So for you to sayNOT a plumber is not correct

Not me. As a licensed Master plumber and all the heating licenses I gave up when I retired, I consider myself a Plumber and a Heater. Some posts here refer to Plumbers as POS's. Because they can't fix heat. They're not Heaters. I see many Heaters who are obviously not Steamers. I'm in no way, a Steamer. But I could TS better than a lot of plumbers.

The difference in all is knowledge, having the tools, and knowing how to use them.

If someone claims to be a Plumber, and heater, and doesn't own the proper tools like an analyzer, they're just rookies, putting in time. With the resources available today (like here) no one should be ignorant. If you can't learn something here, then you aren't interested in learning.

If someone calls themselves a mechanic and works for themselves, if they don't own a computer and have the ability to run the trouble codes in a car, and interpret them, they are just a parts changer and a "Trial & Error Mechanic".

Call someone else.
    handbanana
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited February 2015
    Ja , Easy my friend . Think about this , if what Ice is saying were not correct there would be nothing here for us to assist with . fact of the matter that guys like you or me , both very good plumber and heating designer mechanic are not the rule but the exception . There are 6,200+ active plumbing licenses in Nj and about 450 real plumbers whom I would entertain letting in my house , quite honestly I can only think of about 3 dozen real heating guys . There may be more than that but I suspect that those work for one of the 36 I mention , Thank God there will be someone when we're done . . My thought is that this is the norm nationwide . Simmer down ..

To the Op , call me , i am in Toms River . How long has the home been frozen and what excatly do you mean by frozen ? Is there broken pipes here and there or is it just cold ? If it is the first option you very may well have a boiler that would be better replaced than monkeyed with from a monetary standpoint . Either way , call me .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Jimbo_5
    Thanks for responding. Sorry I caused such a ruckus between the Plumbers and Heatguys, I really should have known better than phrase it like that. As for her freeze-up, yes the copper fintube did rupture. I can see one split right where the M-tube is sweated to the jump-up right next to an elbow. The boiler's circulator was sloshing whatever water was left in the internal piping, the LWCO was lit indicating low water, obviously the gauge showed no psi or any heat.
    After isolating the main supply line, I looked around for any obvious bursts but couldn't really notice any but that one or two. Neither the toilet bowl nor the tank appear to have shattered. As for the domestic water lines, I don't know yet. Without heat I didn't want to reintroduce water into those lines at that time. As I explained to her, someone will have to either test it with water or air to determine where the leaks actually are. Water is easier, but the flooring is at risk if not handled delicately.
    The boiler was installed almost 2 years ago, but has been a problem before the first year ended. Being so close to the floor, I have to lay on my stomach in order to read the control screen, plus use a magnifying glass (at 65 things aren't so easy anymore). So I hope the boiler maintains a lock-out log to see just what was causing it to shut down. What I do find odd is that I do not see an expansion tank on the piping, unless it is tucked away somewhere I haven't looked yet.
    After installing the boiler, it shut down at the end of the first season and would not fire for the next cold season, not even 10 months later. The installer was called and he claimed that the purge valves were not good enough to properly purge the system. So he charged her about $200 to cut-in 2 new purge valves. I questioned why, if they were no good 8 or 9 months ago, then how did he purge the system after installing the new boiler? No answer was given. She just wanted it fixed and done. I also questioned why, if he knew they were "bad" while doing the new install, why not just replace them then? Being a friend of her brother's (who is also licensed master plumber up in Sussex) she didn't want to push the issue. now however, she is pissed.

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    That red tank in the boiler is an expansion tank. Whether it is large enough is another question.
  • j a_2
    Rich said:

Ja , Easy my friend . Think about this , if what Ice is saying were not correct there would be nothing here for us to assist with . fact of the matter that guys like you or me , both very good plumber and heating designer mechanic are not the rule but the exception . There are 6,200+ active plumbing licenses in Nj and about 450 real plumbers whom I would entertain letting in my house , quite honestly I can only think of about 3 dozen real heating guys . There may be more than that but I suspect that those work for one of the 36 I mention , Thank God there will be someone when we're done . . My thought is that this is the norm nationwide . Simmer down ..

To the Op , call me , i am in Toms River . How long has the home been frozen and what excatly do you mean by frozen ? Is there broken pipes here and there or is it just cold ? If it is the first option you very may well have a boiler that would be better replaced than monkeyed with from a monetary standpoint . Either way , call me .

Rich said:

To the Op , call me , i am in Toms River . How long has the home been frozen and what excatly do you mean by frozen ? Is there broken pipes here and there or is it just cold ? If it is the first option you very may well have a boiler that would be better replaced than monkeyed with from a monetary standp

My mindset is based on my location, Boston…Truth be told, there are very few so called just heating guys up here…But that said I never really looked for one…In Mass it requires a plumbing lic. to install a gas boiler and a plumbing lic. to install any form of water to an oil boiler…I for the life of me can’t figure out why a plumber up here does not install boilers or repair heating systems.. I can’t tell you how many people up here that get taken by the unskilled untrained so called heating/plumbing pros .I am not as you say simmered up, so need to do as you say simmer down….To the home owner, from your story and limited pics posted that does not look like a well installed boiler….Be very careful in selecting who does the repairs/ if not replacement

• Jimbo_5
    Interesting off topic but I can't resist. In NYC's giant buildings and schools, union work anyway, steamfitters install the boilers while plumbers do the water heaters and domestic water items.
    icesailor
  • j a_2
    Yuk
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    My father was a licensed plumber and steamfitter. He would have been 81 now. I think, if he spent some time here, he would see the need to specialize. It isn't a jab at plumbers, but if someone is looking to have heating system work done, they should look for someone that has specialized. While sitting at my kitchen table, I took a Rochester Quadra-Jet away from an aircraft mechanic, because he couldn't rebuild it.
  • wogpa67
    we used to call those Rottenchesters and throw them away. They are worth more $ now to restorers then they were brand new
  • Paul48
    They were a decent "stock" carb. Definately not performance though.
  • Paul48
    I was thinking about Chrysler....Didn't they use Carter?
  • wogpa67
    I know wish I had half the ones we trashed that were good.
    A couple long time friends started running formula vee's 10 or so years ago. We ran into the same thing with all the vw parts that the scca makes you use.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    edited March 2015
    I used to love those carbs!
    Used to call them quadrobogs.
    It took quite a bit of tinkering but in the end they worked great (if you knew how)! Also, had a never ending supply of them too. Nobody wanted them & we were broke & couldn't afford the spendy Holly's. Was a drag avid drag racer all my life. Had several of them ready for any condition during the day when conditions changed. As per performance, we ran 10.5's with those babies! Good times....
  • Jamie Hall
    Quadrajets were indeed a nuisance to adjust properly. I remember them well. When they were right, though, they worked very nicely. Most of the GMs I worked on were Quadrajets. Except the full-bore no holds barred muscle cars. Those used Carters, with mechanical secondaries and manual chokes. There weren't a whole lot of those made. They also used Detroit Locker diffs -- not posi traction. They were not cars for sissies to drive...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Paul48
    If I remember correctly, you had to convert Carters to a manual choke, if you wanted the car to start in the rain.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Running Super Stock on a budget. I bet I could of put them together with me eyes closed. Then we got money and stupid. We did go faster, & faster we got poorer..lol
    Ran everything from street to alcohol dragster. Good times!
  • wogpa67
    Have any of you ever have a car with a solex carb?
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Nah, they were fancy smansy French (I think). A friend of mine had one on a Lancia.
  • wogpa67
    Actually you are correct.(french crap) My TR8 had 2.(2- 2 barrels) They actually used low visc oil(power steering fluid) to keep the bowls primed.At the time I owned it I wasn't able to afford the the Holley intake and carb.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    in order to make them work we would use the .135" 's
    Toughest part was keeping a steady idle with the cams we used. We used an after market power valve springs and accelerator pumps. biggest problem (hence their nickname) was getting them not to bog. Ah, I could go on & on but I think I just jacked the Op's thread.
  • Jimbo_5
    Robert, me lad, just think you could be standing in Miller Field again, soon.
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    edited March 2015
    Are we spectin weather? :)
    Let me know if I can help brother.
  • j a_2
    Paul48 said:

My father was a licensed plumber and steamfitter. He would have been 81 now. I think, if he spent some time here, he would see the need to specialize. It isn't a jab at plumbers, but if someone is looking to have heating system work done, they should look for someone that has specialized. While sitting at my kitchen table, I took a Rochester Quadra-Jet away from an aircraft mechanic, because he couldn't rebuild it.

I guess it comes down to if you are a plumber or not a plumber, as to what type of opinion you have…and from where you are located….Not quite sure but I suspect you are not…I was at least smart enough to back out of a job when I did not feel confident,however I went and educated myself If i wanted to so next time i could do it…gee didn’t they have Quadra-jet specialists..I knew of a place in Hew Hampshire that you could send them to for a professional rebuild…Was that aircraft mechanic an A mechanic or a P mechanic….