Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Viridian failure

MikeL_2
MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
Had a failed 2218 this past week, thankfully it was not the primary pump. Taco tech support was elusive, and, insisted that I pursue my concerns through the rep. All I wanted to know was the percentage of failures to expect. I also wanted to know why Taco did away with the swivel flanges, and, I wanted to point out an error regarding the sensor terminal block wiring diagram - it is depicted backwards in their installation instructions.......

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Hi Mike
    thanks for bringing this to our attention. I would rather hear your concerns so they can properly addressed, as opposed to total silence, obviously, neither of win with the latter.
    You mentioned having a failure with the 2218, I'm sorry to hear about the problem, and thankfully you had a resource tech support to help you with the issue. I'm not sure what the issue was, but Tech support would have referred you to the Taco representative responsible for your geographical area; standard warranty protocol.
    As for percentage of failures, Interestingly, I'm asked a similar question " how long will this pump last?" that is a difficult questions to honestly answer. I could arbitrarily say 20 years, but that would be a guess, so if you did not get an answer to that question, it was probably to avoid giving out inaccurate information.
    Swivel flanges were available in the first generation of viridian pumps, but the perceived value did not out way the additional cost that would make us non-competitive. I had a conversation with the product manager who corroborated with engineering after receiving feed back from the field.
    You are correct about the terminal block depicted inverted on the drawing with the first generation instruction sheet. the one on line now is correct. When we introduced the latest and greatest Viridian, we used the artwork from the bumble bee pump which was correct, but as you pointed out it did not carry over to the Viridian pump.
    Hopefully, I addressed all you concerns. However, if you have additional questions, or concerns, feel free to contact Taco tech support at 401-942-8000. You can ask for me, or any of the 10 tech support personal can help you. Johnny, pays a lot of money to provide this great resource.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Jellis
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    How's that for service?
    Retired and loving it.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    Thanks, Joe. I know Taco is a company that I can rely on to stand behind their products. Your rep ( Emerson Swan ) in my area was very quick to respond, and, I had a replacement circulator delivered to me the same day.
    I am disappointed to hear about the swivel flanges; I thought they were innovative and effective, especially in the confines of the modern, smaller mechanical closets.........
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    agreed. they were really cool, however expensive. I'm happy to hear Emerson Swam provided excellent service too.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Joe....I work in manufacturing. Although our product is different than yours, there is no company that has ever made a perfect product. What's important,is, we keep trying.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    "" I also wanted to know why Taco did away with the swivel flanges,,,,,,

A competitor offers swivel flanges for their circulators that will fit any circulator made. I know, because once I saw that their circulators came with a great big fat wide gasket and you couldn't mis-apply those bogus red rubber ones that dry out and leak, I never bought that color green circulator again. And I bought a lot of off green circulators. Never bought a single metallic cranberry one.

You might have to get creative.

But to go into the average supply house, looking for new replacement flange gaskets, you have a complete selection of choice for red rubber gaskets that haven't been used in 40 years, but if you want the OEM gaskets that come with the circulator, it's a special order.