Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Veryical pipe, half hot half cold

Hi all. Fairly new to steam heat and have been having issues. Normally its my living room, which I may have fixed earlier. Seemed to be a pitch problem.

Now tonights issue is..normally the radiator in my bedroom is fine. Works great. Tonight it was a bit colder than normal and I have me new daughter in the house. So i turned the heat up a tad. To around 68. A few hours ago it was nice and warm in the bedroom. As the night went on it got cooler. I started checking things out.

Radiator is completely cool to about halfway down a vertical pipe in the first floor. From the boiler up to this point is nice and warm.

Any ideas why? Like I said. I normallly have no issues with this one. There is a mirror set up on the bed room next to the master bed and thats working fine. So was ruling out a pressure issue or something like that.

I just dont get what could be blocking it on a vertical run like that. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    If the air can't get out the steam can't in, if this is1 pipe steam check the air vent.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Also make sure no little hands have shut the radiator valve off.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • mattj815
    mattj815 Member Posts: 14
    Only little hands here are 3 days old. If she did it, frankly, id be impressed.

Here it is a few hours later and i just checked and the cold/hot mark has moved down closer to the boiler . Should I just change out the air valve?
  • mattj815
    mattj815 Member Posts: 14
    Changed the air vent and everything seems to be good. Thanks Mark.

Just thought it was odd that it was working fine around 7pm last night and then not at all a few hours later. Wouldve thought that was a progressive issue.