Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Richardson & Boynton

jmr
jmr Member Posts: 4
My fathers house in queens NY has the original Richardson & Boynton # 716 steam gas boiler according to the heating museum book its 326 sq ft of steam what would be good replacement for this ......it still works great!. how much more are more efficient are gas steam boilers now? Thanks Joseph

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Have you done a radiation survey?
  • jmr
    yes and it was close to the 326 sq ft
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    If it still works great and has been maintained, I would not touch it until it required a major repair expense. It sounds like it is nicely matched to the radiator EDR. Installing a new boiler means more that just buying a replacement boiler, Near Boiler piping must be properly installed, at a minimum to the manufacturer's specifications, getting the installation done properly and finding a steam Pro seems to be a real challenge for many Posters to this site, cleaning and skimming the new boiler is a bit of a challenge but absolutely necessary and when you're done, it sounds like you will be right where you are now, "with a system that runs great" . For that size boiler, I doubt that the added effeciency of the new boiler will ever make the change out worth the effort.
  • jmr
    Any low water cutoff or Hartford loop ?
  • jmr

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I don't see a LWCO or a Hartford loop and I do see a few saddle clamps on the wet returns to obviously cover leaks in the wet returns. It is probably prudent to have a Pro assess the system and give you a professional opinion on what needs to be done, maybe including a replacement of the boiler and wet returns, for safety more than efficiency. The improved efficiency will be an added bonus.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Neat old beast, enjoyed the pictures. Hate to pay that gas bill though!
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
    What is that device on left of boiler toward the back.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Nice. Replaced and restored quite a few.in Bellerose, Douglaston. What town you in? Mad Dog