Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent Question

STvex
STvex Member Posts: 71
Hi, I had a Hoffman 43 main vent right at the end of my main. My main is 2 inch pipe about 30 feet. I wanted to add more vent to the mains and pull the vent before the end so steam doesn't slam into it. I added two hoffman 43's thinking that should double my existing main venting. When the system comes on, the first hoffman 43 closer to the main pipes heats up fast but the second one behind it is usually lukewarm and takes a while to heat. Is this normal and does my setup look right in the picture. I don's have much space but might have space upwards. What other main vent can i get that had a 1/4 inch connection. Thanks. imageimageimage

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Your probably condensing steam elsewhere which would be why its slow for steam to get to the vent. Steam tends to go where it is condensing. I think you would need much more venting than what those vents do for you.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• STvex
    What vent can I get that is 1/4 inch connection and vents more than Hoffman 43
  • STvex
    Should I try to add more Hoffman 43's
  • STvex
    Should I add a converter and make the half inch to 3/4 and install a gorton 2
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Is this a 1 pipe system? If so, is the vent opening in the Main 1/4 or 1/2 inch? If 1/2, you need to add 1 Gorton #2 and 1 Gorton #1 to that Main. If it is a 1/4 inch tapping, you need to figure out how to either tap it out to 1/2 inch or find another place along the end of that Main whaere you have an opening that is at least 1/2 inch. Those Hoffman #43's are not going to do the job.
  • STvex
    It's a one pipe system, can I convert the 1/4 openings in the antler to half inch?
  • STvex
    Can I add a hoffman 75 and keep one 43
  • Fred
    Is the opening in the Main 1/4 or 1/2 inch? It doesn't do any good to make the antler bigger if the opening in the Main won't let that much air through it to take advantage of the larger opening.
    The rule of thumb is the equalivent of about one Gorton #2 for every 20 feet of 2" inch Main. Gorton #2 has the venting capacity of 2 Hoffman 75's. With 30 feet of Main, you'd need about 3 Hoffman 75"s on that antler. Those 43's are worthless as Main vents. It would take about 20 of those to give you the venting capacity of 1 gorton #2 or 2 hoffman #75's.
  • STvex
    The end of the Main has a half inch opening that has a 1/4 bushing, it looks rusted so I didn't want to take a chance it breaking in the middle of winter, I guess I'll replace in summer time but how can I take out the bushing with little turning space and possibly breaking
  • Fred
    Those bushings have a hex head on them. Spray it with some PB Blaster and let it set a day or so and then try to put a socket wrench on it and turn it out. It is small enough that is should not be a problem to turn out.
  • STvex
    Thanks a lot. Didn't even think of the socket wrench. Should make job easier.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    I would use a 1/4" nipple, 1/4"-1/2" bushing,1/2" coupling, as long a 1/2" nipple as is practical, a 1/2 coupling and a gorton #2. See how long it takes to get steam from the header to the end of main and take it from there.
  • STvex
    Thanks a lot, another great suggestion